Up and Coming Artists - Benson Boone | Teen Ink

Up and Coming Artists - Benson Boone

April 26, 2024
By 4wiskowski BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4wiskowski BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Benson Boone & Newest Album

Fireworks and Rollerblades 


Benson Boone is a 21-year-old up and coming artist who started his music career when he was a contestant on AGT in 2021. In  2023 the artist's career really took off when he started adding his music to the social media platform TikTok; this is where I came upon his music as well. I would be scrolling on my for you page and hear these really catchy songs and then would click on the song and see the artist name read “Benson Boone”  and I’d find myself going straight to Spotify and looking up his songs, I wanted more.  Since his start up, his fame has grown to the point where he now tours and has started performing at various music events (lollapalooza, summerfest.. ect).


This is Boone’s first full album, and the songs he has created and added show great emotion, speak about relatable experiences, and makes the listener think deeper about their life and their own experiences. Another factor that adds to Bensons popularity and appeal to his music is the fact he doesn’t stick to one specific genre. His songs dip into many styles such as Folk Rock, Indie/Alternative, Pop Rock and a few others. 


Fireworks and Rollerblades' main strength and best quality is the album's versatility. Boone has a blend between upbeat joyful songs but then evens it out with slower songs that can pull at the heartstrings. Many songs within the album speak on personal experiences of Boones—heartbreak, growing up, learning from the past, betrayal and moving forward without the person you loved. 


“We used to talk but haven't since early May…. My greatest fear of all is losing you” This lyric from My Greatest Fear (#9 on the album) expresses his concerns of love and how it's scary to love someone in fear of losing them and all the memories created—a relatable feeling that resonates with listeners of all ages. 

 

With each song you can hear Boones vocal range and the true effort, thought, and talent behind this artist. Beautiful Things (#1 on the album) does a great job representing this. You can hear the passion when he sings. The suspense in the lyric “please stay, I want you, I need you, oh God don’t take these beautiful things that I've got” which leads into the main course that shows great vocal strengths as well. The stain in his voice, not over stretched but pushed enough to where you can feel the emotion and passion behind the lyrics he’s singing; asking for God not to take the good things in his life and pleading with him to let him be happy. 


The only song on this recent album that I don’t find myself loving and even skipping is There She Goes (#10 on the album). I don’t prefer the tempo and just find the song hard to listen to. The song constantly is going between slow and upbeat in rhythm and tempo. Although it’s hard to follow, the lyrics are still great and the thought behind the song is still there. 


Overall I feel this album was a great hit, and Boones future in the music industry is only beginning. I look forward to seeing where he goes and how far he can take his talent.


The author's comments:

I'm a senior in high school and I did this review as an assignment for writing class. Boone is a recently popular artist and I personally enjoy his music and he is a musician who has gained a lot of his popularity thanks to TikTok. This review is on his most recently released album and although I didn't cover every song on the album, I wanted to highlight a few that were more known and dive deeper into them.