IGOR: Tyler, The Creator's Masterpiece | Teen Ink

IGOR: Tyler, The Creator's Masterpiece

April 26, 2024
By 5watson BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
5watson BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Feeling sad? Listen to IGOR. Feeling happy? Listen to IGOR. Feeling lost? Find yourself again by listening to IGOR. Or at least—that’s what I do. 


This 2019 album by popular artist Tyler, The Creator was a risk for him as an artist because he went against his normal style of rap and created an album heavily influenced by R&B instead. IGOR starts off with the song “IGOR’S THEME” and it was a great song to start off the album and really set the mood. 


After that song it switches over to Tyler’s most iconic song, “EARFQUAKE” being his second most streamed song. Next is, “I THINK”, and it is a simple song. It has a wonderful, calming beat and a vinyl crackling sound that makes it sound like pop rocks. 


“RUNNING OUT OF TIME” is one of my favorite songs on this album because the way he constructed the melody is very engaging and makes you feel like you’re on a roller coaster with the way the sounds go up and down. 


“NEW MAGIC WAND” is a song that people weren’t expecting to hear because it’s very aggressive at the beginning but slows down at 1:40, then at 2:06 it goes into unusual notes and then right back into an aggressive type of song to the end which is why I think this song is one of the best. 


“A BOY IS A GUN*” in my opinion is one of Tyler’s most underrated song because it’s one of those songs that you can get everyone to vibe to. “PUPPET” is one of the slower songs on this album but the harmony and the way the beat go together make this piece a good work of art. 

“WHAT’S GOOD” is another one of his aggressive songs but like “NEW MAGIC WAND” it slows down at one point and goes back to another aggressive switch and slows down once more to the end. 


“GONE, GONE / THANK YOU” is arguably one of Tyler’s best songs ever made because there are three beat switches and they all go really well together. The beginning of the song starts off in a very cheerful mood and then switches up to a slower beat with the lyrics explaining Tylers feelings. During the third beat switch it goes into one of the most memorable tunes which gives me chills almost every time I hear it. 


“I DON’T LOVE YOU ANYMORE” is a song that really got Tyler into his feelings and this song expresses those feelings really well. “ARE WE STILL FRIENDS” is another song that is loved by everyone with it being his fifth most streamed song. I think that this song is another great piece of art because like others, it starts off slow and goes up and down throughout the song. 


Tyler, the Creator is an amazing artist and this album definitely deserved the grammy that was awarded to it in 2020.


Overall I would rate this album 5 stars because there isn’t a single song that I would skip. 


The author's comments:

This is a review that I passionately wrote about Tyler, The Creator's album "IGOR".