Who's that Girl? It's A 'New GIrl' Review | Teen Ink

Who's that Girl? It's A 'New GIrl' Review

May 1, 2024
By avaanderson22 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
avaanderson22 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the 2010s, bangs were synonymous with one person, Jessica Day, the main character of the hit show “New Girl”. With big doe eyes and a wholesome personality, it’s hard to forget Jess. But what made this show so special? The show follows Jessica Day, a preschool teacher who gets dumped, while she navigates moving in with 3 men living in a small apartment. 

The cast is an incredibly important part of the show because not only did they improv almost 20% of the show, their chemistry is what makes the show so believable. Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Hannah Simone, and Lamorne Morris brought the show to life. The way they interact with each other is so reminiscent of real life friendships, it immerses the watcher and makes them feel like they’re a part of this incredible friend group.

They’re chemistry is just as good off-screen, as they can barely get through an interview without laughing to the point of tears. Their genuine love for each other and the joy that surrounds their friendship is intoxicating to the viewer. 

Season one is well done, you get a good idea of the dynamics, the humor, the style. But I think that the show really takes off during Season two. There the characters show off much more personality and the cast has said that a lot of this came from them, as they were able to advocate for their characters. 

The show is not only amazing at comedic timing, but also creates constantly evolving characters that force the audience to be invested. We watch as all of the characters grow over the course of 7 years. The characters even acknowledge this as Nick says, "I like getting older. I feel like I'm finally aging into my personality."

The show is the perfect balance between a comedy and character development, it’s not so heavy that it’s a drama, but it also would be an understatement to call it a comedy. There are wedding episodes, but also cat funerals, you never know what to expect. Overall, I’d recommend “New Girl” as a lighthearted show with incredibly funny moments, but also a cast who makes the show come to life.