Survival by Choice | Teen Ink

Survival by Choice

April 26, 2024
By 5collins BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5collins BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Vampire Survivors is a survival game in which you choose a starting character who embarks on a 30-minute journey to fight hordes of enemies swarming you by the hundreds. Easily hooking anyone with a taste for victory and glory. Each enemy will drop experience orbs based on their difficulty level, which will level up your character, providing you with 3-4 options to select a new weapon or aid or upgrade an existing item. This provides a clear line of progression with countless strategies to be uncovered, lending you to venture further than ever into the game.

Throughout the run, the enemies will hit harder and make you focus on your player and each item you choose. Boss enemies may also drop chests which will give 1, 3, or 5 items depending on your luck, which also give coins. The coins can be used in the upgrade menu outside of the game to progress your game farther and faster to allow you to unlock new stages and characters to play as. The player has to decide to choose new weapons or to save up to upgrade a weapon to max to unlock its full capabilities.

The simple visuals and retro-style graphics are reminiscent of a classic arcade-style game. The pixelated art and small soundtrack perfectly complement the gameplay. Different soundtracks and even player skins can be chosen at your desire, yet have to be unlocked through winning certain game stages.

This game is based on the simple idea of rescuing fellow vampires and protecting them from the hordes of enemies who swarm you from all angles and directions. Each playable character has specific abilities and their own starting weapon, allowing for the different playstyles of all players. Likewise, all enemies behave, move, and attack differently depending on the stage, duration of the playthrough, and many other small variables. These minute variables create a unique and challenging feel for every encounter. Boss battles are particularly intense, requiring players to utilize all their skills and every different item to emerge victorious.

Overall, this game upholds a high standard of a solid, easy-to-follow storyline, high levels of replayability, and practically limitless potential for customization and optimization. A key aspect of such charm is the supreme simplicity of the graphics, soundtrack, and art style. This game is also easily playable by players of all skill levels, while also allowing for skilled players to optimize their every move and choice. Completing this game requires a refined level of skill and dedication because of the sheer number of unique characters and stages. This fun and engaging survival game allows for a high level of replayability and is a great choice if you want a challenging retro-style game with easy future upgradability.


The author's comments:

School assignment for Composition.