Music and How It Aids Alzheimer’s Patients | Teen Ink

Music and How It Aids Alzheimer’s Patients

April 25, 2024
By hazelc BRONZE, Tirana, Other
hazelc BRONZE, Tirana, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Music positively affects Alzheimer’s disease by allowing people who suffer from Alzheimer’s to remember memories from their past, giving them emotional support, enhancing their social interaction, and helping them maintain a calm and positive attitude. 

Music is an effective memory aid for people suffering from Alzheimer's disease, allowing them to link with their past and maintain their feeling of identity despite memory loss. Many people with Alzheimer's have the remarkable ability to remember music from their youth or important life experiences, which is called music memory, and by listening to that music, the memories connected with it are remembered as well, even as the disease progresses. Because of the preservation of musical memory, feelings and experiences that could otherwise be lost due to memory loss can now be remembered. Musical memory is similar to muscle memory in that we subconsciously remember the beat or rhythm to a song. Dr. Borna Bonakdarpour, a neurologist, said, “Music memories often remain in the brain even as language and other memories disappear in dementia”. According to studies, listening to well-known music can bring back their childhood memories, triggering happy thoughts and lowering stress or confusion. People who have Alzheimer's disease might feel reconnected to the world and their former selves by depending on their memories through music. 

Besides helping with memory, music therapy has many positive emotional and behavioral impacts on Alzheimer's patients. Even in the later stages of the condition, research has shown that listening to music can enhance mood and lessen agitation symptoms. Alzheimer’s patients with trouble sleeping were able to sleep through the night thanks to music therapy.  Participating in music-making activities or listening to well-known songs can induce emotions of happiness, ease, and calmness, offering a refreshing break from the difficulties associated with Alzheimer's disease. However, it is also true that music can have some disadvantages towards Alzheimer’s patients if the wrong music is played, it can make a patient overstimulated, confused, or it could trigger negative memories, since musical memory could also help the patients remember upsetting memories. However, music therapy using music that the patients enjoy promotes serenity and well-being for patients by providing an alternative approach to negative behavior traits like hostility or restlessness. People suffering from Alzheimer's disease can improve their overall quality of life by connecting emotionally and expressing themselves through music.  
 
Social interaction and mental abilities in people with Alzheimer's have been shown to benefit through music therapy. Playing an instrument or singing well-known songs are examples of musical activities that might improve mental processing, memory, and attention. According to research, music therapy can help those who have Alzheimer's disease preserve their independence and memory for longer by improving attention and lowering symptoms of confusion. In addition, music gives people with Alzheimer's a way to communicate and engage in meaningful social connections. Music therapy reduces feelings of loneliness and isolation that people with Alzheimer's disease frequently suffer by fostering a sense of community and belonging, whether through group singing sessions or music-listening with loved ones.  

In conclusion, Music is beneficial towards Alzheimer’s patients in that it allows them to recall memories from their past, improves their mood and behavior, and helps them to be more social and connect to other people.