My Grandma's Dinner Table | Teen Ink

My Grandma's Dinner Table

May 1, 2024
By ysonera BRONZE, Palm Bay, Florida
ysonera BRONZE, Palm Bay, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My family has always had family dinners, as far back as I can remember. Since I was a baby, my mother insisted that we attend family dinners every Sunday. Every Sunday, my mother would prepare a large amount of food, which we would then bring to my grandmother's house in the afternoon. We'd wait for more family members to come before eating together at the table, my grandma’s dinner table. I've always felt that was a silly little tradition. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized the significance and purpose of continuing this tradition. 

My mother. My mother constantly emphasized the importance of family. My mother is like the family's glue. She is the one who prepares exactly enough food for everyone on Sundays. She is the backbone, the foundation of this family. She says we must meet every Sunday, or at least once a week, and eat together at my grandma’s dinner table. Why is that so important? Why does she keep insisting we must do this? Well, I will say this, without my mother, I would not have the bond that I have with my family now. After a long week of school and work, getting together as a family to talk about anything and everything, and just being together, is refreshing. Dinner isn’t just a meal, it’s a chance to reconnect with each other, appreciate each other.

I sit at the dinner table, my grandma’s dinner table. I look around, I’m surrounded by people who truly love me and I’m overcome with gratitude for the family which I was born in. Each face holds a lifetime of shared experiences and memories, people who have been with me through thick and thin. That is the definition of family, that you don’t have to do things alone. It’s unconditional love. It’s a love that feels so good. The kind of love everyone needs in their lives. 

In my culture, family is at the heart of everything. Our traditions, values, and daily routines mostly revolve around the concept of family. From big celebrations to weekend activities, there’s always a sense of togetherness and support. Perhaps that’s why I find myself surrounded by family all the time, but I find myself questioning why family holds such significance. Whether it’s sharing meals, asking for advice, or enjoying each other’s presence, being with family brings a sense of belonging and fulfillment like nothing else can. In this world, things are constantly changing, but my family remains constant and our bond is unbreakable. 

Now, I finally realize the meaning of this tradition, the true essence of family. That it’s not about the dinners or activities we do, it’s about family. Family, a group of people who care about each other. I think it’s lovely. All the memories we built together around my grandma's dinner table will last forever. Memories of talking about future vacations, memories of laughing so hard that one can’t breathe, and memories with past people. Now, I’m eager for Sunday to arrive to see my family. And now, as I sit and eat at my grandma’s dinner table, I am filled with a profound sense of gratitude for the gift of family, and the timeless tradition that keeps us bound together, now and for generations to come.