Federal Vs. State Government: Who holds more power? | Teen Ink

Federal Vs. State Government: Who holds more power?

April 21, 2024
By JacquelineCarr BRONZE, Englewood, New Jersey
JacquelineCarr BRONZE, Englewood, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The discussion of whether the state government or the federal government should have more power is an ongoing conversation with many points of view. The federal government is a government that provides power divided between nations. The state government only focuses on individual states rather than all states as a whole. The government has learned to band together the federal government and the state government to form a sort of balance between the two. We can see the connection between these two governments in the constitution. In section 2, it states, “Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers.”, meaning there must be a representative from each state (state government) and they must all come together to collect taxes. They do this in unity along with still having representatives from each state. The federal government and state government can make laws which are stated in section 8, “To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.” Section 8 also states many abilities both the federal government and state government have. 

The third and fourth Amendments are more connected to privacy than any other Amendments. The third amendment states, “No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.” I believe this statement exemplifies privacy and proves how we can respect civilians while still being cautious of what one might hold in their home. While the Quartering Acts were taking place, British soldiers had the ability to storm into any house without a warrant, and Britain would allow troops to camp in private homes. After years of this disrupted privacy, the Founding Fathers decided to make a change, especially James Madison in 1789. Anti-Federalists were a beginning problem to this change because of how much they disliked the new Constitution. Due to the Anti-Federalists, citizens requested this Act have a Bill of Rights added to it so no one could take this right away in any way, shape, or form. Although the third amendment seems to place no relevance in modern times, we can interpret it as a sign of privacy for civilians in their personal homes and the respect of the military during war and peace. The fourth amendment ties into privacy as it states, “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Similar to the third amendment, there is respect between the government and the community as people have the ability to be safe within themselves and their belongings without unnecessary disruption. Unsurprisingly, James Madison founded this amendment as well due to the belief that the government would take advantage of its power and end up having full control over American citizens.