Should Students Clean Their Classrooms? | Teen Ink

Should Students Clean Their Classrooms?

April 24, 2024
By KristCA BRONZE, Avon, Connecticut
KristCA BRONZE, Avon, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The final bell echoed throughout the school, signaling everyone’s bleeding ears to get out. The students were a stampede of wildebeests rushing to leave. The classroom looked like it had passed a typhoon, with scribbled on scattered desks, wrappers and papers all around. The janitor was left alone with a mountain of trash, each single day. As he stared at the mess left behind, he sighed to himself, “This is going to be the death of me.” 

In order to save the poor janitor’s sanity, schools should require students, especially those in elementary and middle school, to clean their classrooms for six different reasons.

Teaching children responsibility and accountability is important for their development. By involving them in the maintenance of their learning environment, schools instill values of ownership and respect for shared spaces. When students participate in cleaning activities, they learn the importance of taking care of their surroundings and develop a sense of pride in their school community. 
Cleaning tasks can be valuable learning experiences. Children can learn basic hygiene practices, organization skills, and teamwork through activities like sweeping, wiping desks, and arranging supplies. These practical skills not only contribute to a clean environment but also prepare students for life outside of school where they will have no choice but to encounter similar responsibilities. 
People might argue that certain students are forced to do more cleaning because of factors like race, gender or social status. However, this can be solved by having a rotational schedule for cleaning. Involving students in cleaning promotes a sense of equality and creates a positive school culture. When everyone, regardless of age or status, participates in maintaining the classroom, it sends a message that everyone's contribution is valued. This can also help break down the barriers of hierarchy and create a more inclusive atmosphere where students feel respected. 
Having students clean their classrooms can save schools time and resources. Instead of relying on custodial staff to handle all cleaning tasks, distributing the workload among students lightens the burden on school staff and allows them to focus on more specialized maintenance needs. This can ultimately lead to more efficient operations and cost savings for the school. 
Cleaning activities provide opportunities for teachers to incorporate real-world skills into their curriculum. Teachers can integrate lessons on environmental stewardship, sustainability, and personal responsibility into the cleaning process, making it a meaningful educational experience. By connecting classroom cleaning to broader concepts, students can develop a deeper understanding of their role in preserving the environment and contributing positively to society. 
Cleaning can be a form of physical activity and contribute to students' overall well-being. Engaging in physical tasks like mopping or organizing can help students release pent-up energy, improve focus, and promote a sense of accomplishment. In an age where sedentary lifestyles and screen time dominate many children's daily routines, incorporating physical activity into the school day through cleaning can have multiple benefits for their health and development. 
As an example, Japan practices “Ōsōji (大掃除)” or “cleanup time.” This practice lasts from elementary to high school and from a young age, Japanese students learn the importance of taking care of their environment and working together for the common good. 

In conclusion, requiring students to clean their classrooms is not just about maintaining a tidy learning environment; it's about instilling important values, fostering a sense of community, teaching practical skills, promoting equality, saving resources, integrating real-world learning, and supporting overall well-being. By making cleaning a regular part of the school routine, educators can empower students to take ownership of their environment and become responsible, engaged members of their school community and more in the future.


The author's comments:

My name is Kristine Candy Antonio and I am 17 years old. I was inspired to write this piece because I was studying school culture in Asia which led me to think about what I should implement in American classrooms. I hope people will learn to keep this in mind and follow a habit of cleaning in everyday situations, even in school.