Words | Teen Ink

Words

April 17, 2024
By Anonymous

Words

Usually, words are just a thing to me.

They circle me endlessly, making up stories that I can't seem to see.

The words you see fall so differently than what the world is to me.

 


There are no spaces between the lines I read,

Good spelling is far far from out of reach,

and straight A's don't come naturally.

 


I'm often told I'm stupid or slow, but I am nowhere near that,

I hope you know.

 


I avoid the spotlight, so I don't end up as a joke.

I'm scared of what they'll say, but I tell myself words are just another thing.

 


I'm sure it's not just me who hears the echoing of words that have been said to belittle me.

Sees the waves of worthless words crashing down on not just me, but the people all around me. Can no one not see the girl sitting behind me crying in silence because someone told her to "shut up you mean nothing"

 


So, tell me why words are just another thing.

 


If you're crying yourself to sleep,

 


Praying to god, that you won't gain another pound after what you just ate,

 


and you just hope that one mean girl won't be there on Monday because you're so scared of the silly little words she'll say.

 


Words stick like glue.

Nobody said they wouldn't stick to me and you. Words are like carving on a tomb. They're gonna stay there for a while because they're engraved in you. Telling you lies, written on the walls and rooms. They're gonna get to you. Make you feel worthless. Till you physically can't move.

 


Words can be used to show proof, not by just being written on paper, but with the words you use. Words do hurt, they cut like a knife. If they slice too far That's another, taken by the words we often put before our worth.

So if you say one word please make it nice

 


Because How would you feel if you helped in taking another person's life?


The author's comments:

My name is Lilly, I am a 16-year-old sophomore in high school and I love to write poetry. I also, happen to have dyslexia. Dyslexia has affected me every day since the 3rd grade. I have had so many people use their words to bring me down. Words from my point of view are different from someone who doesn’t have dyslexia, but words still hurt. The words you say do affect people and basically can depict someone’s life. I have watched others and heard many stories of people who have hurt themselves because of the words that were said.