"Green Book" Review - Finding Life's Resonance within Harmonious Melodies. | Teen Ink

"Green Book" Review - Finding Life's Resonance within Harmonious Melodies.

April 21, 2024
By Kevin_liu BRONZE, Chongqing, Other
Kevin_liu BRONZE, Chongqing, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As gentle as the warm sun of a winter's day, yet unbending in strength;
As tranquil as the stars strewn across the night sky, flickering with hope.

The movie "Green Book" stands as a beacon of light that pierces through the fog of history to touch the core of our humanity.

In an age rife with challenges, it conveys a poignant message: no distance is too great to impede the closeness of souls.

This tale is akin to a chord struck from two distinct notes that may start in dissonance but ultimately blend into life's most wondrous symphony.

Brought together by circumstance, Don sets off on a tour in the racially divided American South, seeking safety in hiring an experienced bodyguard; Tony, a bouncer momentarily out of work, needs a job to sustain his family.

At first glance, they could not be more different in personality, style, or skin color. Don, a black man, is a highly respected and talented classical pianist who has even performed at the White House twice. Tony, a white man, is candid and impulsive, inclined to solve problems with force. Don moves with the grace of a gentleman, while Tony lives by his own rules, doing as he pleases.

Their journey begins with mutual nonacceptance: Don dislikes Tony's incessant chatter, so he stops it; he dislikes Tony smoking, so he stops it. Tony, in turn, cannot stand Don's meticulous lifestyle, nor does he appreciate unsolicited advice about his life. Arguments are inevitable.

Yet, as Tony drives Don further across the American South, they begin to influence each other subtly. Despite his resistance to Don's "makeover" of his life, Tony is awed by Don's piano talent. Don helps Tony write more romantically charged letters to his wife, opening Tony's eyes to the charm of words:

"Dear Dolores,
When I think of you, I'm reminded of the beautiful plains of Iowa.
The distance between us is breaking my spirit.
Falling in love with you was the easiest thing I have ever done.
Nothing matters to me but you.
And every day that I am alive, I am aware of this.
I loved you the day I met you, I love you today,
And I will love you for the rest of my life."

Tony not only moves his wife but also becomes a Shakespearean figure in the eyes of his friends and family.

Even Don, a man who has always maintained an air of elegance and nobility, cannot resist Tony's persistent cajoling and ends up trying a piece of fried chicken. As Don cautiously takes a bite, Tony inquires how it feels. Don admits it's not bad, just a tad unsanitary. Clearly, for Don, who is accustomed to living with rationality and restraint, this is a novel yet enticing way of life. It's Don's first taste of letting go of his lofty status and experiencing the joys of a more carefree existence.

That's when Tony shares a piece of wisdom: "My father used to say, whatever you do, do it a hundred percent, when you work, work, when you laugh, laugh, when you eat, eat like it is your last meal."

Together, they let loose, even nonchalantly tossing the chicken bones out of the car window, embracing a new sense of freedom.

In the past, Tony's philosophy of survival was simple: never suffer emotionally in silent indignity. Whoever wronged him would get hit back. And if it was the police who displeased him, he wouldn't hesitate to throw a punch.

On the other hand, Don believed in restraint but never at the cost of his dignity. Violence could never triumph; holding onto one's dignity was the true victory. Thus, when a shopkeeper, driven by discrimination, refused to let him try on clothes, he faced the humiliation with quiet resignation, then later vented his emotions through his music.

These were the life philosophies of Tony and Don, both shaped and sometimes shackled by their own principles. Had it not been for this concert tour, it is likely they would have continued on their life's trajectory without change.

However, when two fundamentally different people collided, the situation began to evolve slowly.

Under Don's cultured influence, Tony was able to craft letters to his wife filled with eloquence and beauty, earning Don's praise.

And at the final stop of the tour, when the hotel manager refused to allow Don to dine in the establishment, Don didn't compromise. Instead, he gave the manager a choice: either let him dine there or he would cancel that night's performance. When the manager stubbornly refused to budge, Don left the hotel decisively.

This time, Don abandoned his usual philosophy and bravely stood up for himself, just like Tony would have.

Finally, on a snowy Christmas Eve, they drove back to their city, New York. But this time, it was Don at the wheel, giving a worn-out Tony a break.

Such a role reversal perfectly illustrated the transformation in their relationship:

They were no longer bound as employer and employee based on mere utility; they had become friends connected by emotion.

Perhaps this was the true meaning of their journey. Did they change the greater societal issue of racial discrimination?

No.

But on a personal level, they both managed to step out from the shadows of their former selves, enriching their life experiences, and in the process, gained a trustworthy friend of a different skin color.

Sometimes, that's enough.