Big Hero Review | Teen Ink

Big Hero Review

April 30, 2024
By 5riggs BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5riggs BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was babysitting my 2 year old niece when I happened upon this giant red robot and a teenage boy fighting crime. My niece seemed to think this movie was a great choice for her pre bedtime movie. We said we were only gonna watch the first 30 minutes. In turn we got completely sucked in and 30 minutes turned into the entire movie. Big Hero 6 is an animated film that is full of action and memorable, touching moments all rolled into one. This all blends together terrifically through the use of comedy, emotion, and adventure during the story. 

This movie is set in the city of San Fransokyo but much further in the future. The story follows a boy named Hiro Hamada who is a child prodigy fascinated by robots and his very own robot friend, Baymax. Together they find themselves in a friend group of normal teenagers that becomes a band of newbie heroes looking to do some good. 

Throughout the movie the greatest aspect was the character development. Hiro, the protagonist, went through major changes throughout the movie. In the beginning of the story Hiro was very arrogant because of his natural gift of intelligence. He is later burdened by grief which forces him to learn lots of valuable lessons about friendship and perseverance and a very valuable lesson that he cannot do everything alone. 

Another character that showed major signs of growth was Baymax. He started off as a robot that was charged with the duty of protecting his patients. Baymax had to learn that people are more than their injuries but with his innocence to the world this was difficult. With the help of Hiro and his new friends he quickly learns about the real world while still keeping his lovable personality that always provides comedic relief. 

Another eye catching quality to Big Hero 6 is the animation. It is stunning, especially when the heroes are testing out their new high tech gear and superhero abilities. Also not to mention the amazing way the animators brought together the two very different worlds of Eastern and Western society and created an amazing aesthetic through the city of San Fransokyo. Not only does this movie have phenomenal animation but it is full of thrills and laughs while also including the overall arching themes of loss and identity. The way they portray the growing bond of Baymax and Hiro from start to finish through the animation and themes is remarkable. 

Across the board, Big Hero Six is a touching but also hilarious film that will appeal to anyone no matter their age, my 2 year old niece and my 17 year old self can both vouch for this. You won’t be able to look away with all the fascinating characters, stunning animation, and beautiful storyline, you must add this movie to your watchlist for your next movie night.