"the sign" Bluey episode review | Teen Ink

"the sign" Bluey episode review

May 1, 2024
By 4nowak SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4nowak SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Before I started “The Sign”--the new Bluey episode-- I was excited. it was the special so it was 28 minutes long, and it was Frisky and Rad’s wedding. I had been waiting for this since the episode “Double Babysitter,” when they met. 

When I watched the trailer I was a little nervous. I mean, Socks was talking in full sentences, Bluey was in the front seat, Brandy was pregnant, and the Healers were selling their house. A lot was changing and I wasn’t excited about it. And I was right—it was the most heartbreaking episode ever. 

The episode starts with a couple looking at Bluey’s house,  then we see Bluey at school and Calypso tells her a story telling her how everything works out how it should and we hear that they are selling the house, we get to see the next day which is the wedding and as Frisky is helping Buley pull out the selling sign in front she gets a call from rad making her get mad and cancel the wedding which leads to Chilli, Buley, Bingo, Muffin, and Socks going on a chase to find her and they find her, then after rad finds her and they have a talk and wedding is back on! After the wedding, the healers start the process of moving out.

When I was watching it I loved the references--I have to admit I was crying for at least half of it so I may not have caught all of them-- that they had put in and all of the callbacks they were able to make to past episodes like greeny, bluey’s ballon from “mum school”, the DJ being the dog who played the guitar in “markets” who was the dog who was in “dance mode” using flip flops to play the slapaphone, Wiston’s dad and the Terrier’s mom getting together after we saw them flirting in the background of “tv”.

Throughout the whole episode, the writers were able to show very strong themes, like growing up, big changes, strong relationships, and how everything works out how it was supposed to in the end. To me, this is important because they can show some strong themes in 7-minute episode so their being able to show more themes in a short episode was amazing 

The song “Lazarus Drug” sung by Meg Washington--also Calypso’s voice actor--which was played near the end of the episode was beautiful, and from what I have seen broke everyone's heart the song was slow and sad fitting very well in the episode they had the song times perfectly with what was happing, Meg washingtons voice was beautiful, they could have to pick a better song 

If you are a fan of Buley or not, I would definitely recommend watching this episode it was amazing in every way possible