The Domino Effect | Teen Ink

The Domino Effect MAG

October 30, 2009
By Kurtis Harding BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts
Kurtis Harding BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Recently, my older sister came home for a visit from college. Usually she brings souvenirs from her university for each of us, but this time was different. She stepped through the door holding a small, fuzzy, black and white ball of fur. A rabbit was cradled in her arms.

She told us that she had bought it at college but there was a strict rule that no pets were allowed in the dorms. The rabbit would be staying here. My parents turned to me and said, “Have fun with it, Kurtis,” and my first thought was, Oh great, another thing I’m responsible for.

It’s been about a week since I started caring for the critter, whom I named Domino. I refill his food bowl, make sure he has enough hay to chew on, and fill the water dispenser. I have grown quite fond of Domino and a bit intrigued by him. I can sit for hours watching the little guy as he wanders around his cage.

Every day he gnaws at the cage door. I wonder if he is suffering, being such a small and defenseless animal. He will never be free to do as he pleases; his whole life he will be caged, eating pellets and vegetables, and drinking from a water dispenser. Never will he be able to run free in the woods or feel the warmth of summer or smell the flowers or the crisp winter air.

When I watch him chew at his cage in his solitude, longing to be free, I am reminded of myself. Domino’s cage is probably two feet by two feet, while I am confined by parents, teachers, coaches, and friends, each with their standards. And I must conform to those standards to satisfy them. Being trapped is a feeling that nobody likes, not even a rabbit, but we all feel it.

I live in a small town where everyone knows everything about everybody. This puts a great deal of pressure on me to succeed, because if I don’t, everyone will know and look down on me. This seven-mile stretch of land is my cage. When I look into Domino’s deep eyes, I see desperation and dissatisfaction. When I look in the mirror, I see the same. This creature has, without knowing it, opened my eyes to the truth about myself. We are not so different, and I feel his pain.

Now is the time for me to make a change, to break free from the mold or be trapped for life in this confining cage.