Dream State | Teen Ink

Dream State

May 24, 2013
By ChristinKarr GOLD, Solana Beach, California
ChristinKarr GOLD, Solana Beach, California
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." Martin Luther


Dream State



Anna Herrington got up one Friday morning no different from the others, she took her daughter Amy Herrington to school in the car. Then headed off to work, when she stopped at a red light. The light just would not turn green, she must have been sitting there for at least ten minutes! Finally it turned green, she glanced to the side and saw a car heading straight for her. Amy was called to the office of her school. “Your mothers been in an accident.” The principal explained. “Is she alright?!” Amy asked alarmed. “She's in the hospital, your aunt will be here soon to take you to the hospital....” He finished. “I don't have an aunt.” She claimed. “Of course you do dear, aunt... I believe she said her name was Rebecca.” Amy knew she didn't have an aunt and she knew it must have been a trap of some sort. Her father worked for the CIA, so it must have been one of his enemies coming for her. Amy's father had trained her since she was five, what to do in situations like this. “Okay, I'll wait in the lobby.” Amy lied to the principal, as she walked out of his office she texted her boyfriend Mathew, “My mom is the hospital, someone's coming for me. I need help!!! Meet me in the north hallway by the boys locker room.”


She walked to the hallway and waited for Mathew, “Hey, are you okay.” He asked walking up behind her. “No, someone's coming for me! Will you help me get out?!” Amy gasped. “What do you mean someone's coming for you?” Mathew questioned. “The principal said my aunt was coming to pick me up.” I said. “Okay...what wrong with that?” He shook his head. “I don't have an aunt!!! I'm sure of it, both of my parents were only children, no siblings... My dad works for the government and has enemies that could be coming after me. I have to contact him, but the only way I can do that is from the alarm phone at a location only I know of, he gave it me only to use if I thought someone was after my mother and I... We have to get my mother away from the hospital and anywhere they could find us!” Amy explained more alarmed than ever. “What?!?! Amy I think your just in shock.” Mathew said sympathetically. “Fine don't believe me! But I have to go with or without you help!” Amy walked away disappointed. “Wait!” Her boyfriend called out. “What do you need?” She turned around and smiled.


Amy finished explaining her brilliant plan to her boyfriend. He walked back to the office following Amy's plan. When he saw a strange woman he had never seen before and she looked nothing like a parent. This was clearly the person out to get Amy, he gulped, then pulled the fire alarm and ran. The announcer spoke through the sound system. “This is not a drill people everyone out in an orderly fashion.” The hallways slowly started getting louder and louder as everyone's fear raised. The insanely loud bell ringing in everyone's ears made the panic even worse, as everyone exited the school and headed to the football field. Amy walked with everyone else switching lines ever so elegantly until she got to the edge of the school, she slipped through the chained gate and hid behind the trees and bushes. She pulled her phone out of her back pocket and started texting her boyfriend, it read: “I'm out, where are you? We half to go now!” Since Amy sixteenth birthday was yet to arrive she still didn't have her license, which meant no car and no way out, luckily her boyfriend did. “I'm on my way.” Mathew texted back. A few minutes later a silver hummer came by the trees as Amy quickly jumped in the back seat as he drove away.


A few minutes passed as silence began to fill the car. “Alright Amy, where are we going?” Mathew asked. “We are going to the corner of Lexington Avenue and River Road. Do you know how to get there?” Amy directed in a very matter-of-fact way. “Yes.” Mathew answered. “Why didn't you ever tell me that your father worked for the government? Why would you lie and tell me he worked construction? We've been together for almost two years now, and you never thought to mention that?” Mathew was getting irritated. “I couldn't, my dad doesn't just work for the government... he works for the CIA and he told me to never tell anyone. I shouldn't of told you that.” Amy spoke quietly. “No, thank you for telling me. I understand why you didn't tell me before, just don't lie to me again.” Mathew said in a very forgiving way. “I won't, I promise.” Amy smiled. They finally arrived at the corner of Lexington Avenue and River Road, Amy got out of the car and told Mathew to stay there. Surprisingly he didn't follow her, but he watched as long as he could until she disappeared into the forest that was a dead ahead. A few minutes passed and Mathew became restless waiting for her with worry. Just as he was about to get out of the car she appeared out of the forest, holding a lock box in her hands. This time Amy got in the front seat instead of the back. She smiled at Mathew in silence and pulled a necklace of her neck, a necklace that held a key. She put the key in the lock box and opened it up. Inside was a weird looking device, like nothing Mathew had ever seen before. Amy pressed her hand on the screen, a blue light came on and the device began to speak. “Welcome Amy Herrington. How can I assist you?” It spoke. “Call Daddy.” Amy demanded. “Calling Daddy.” The device answered. The device rang two times then Amy hung up. “Call Daddy.” She said again. It rang once and on the second time someone answered. “Hello? Amy? Are you alright? Why are you using our emergency phone?” Her father asked. “It's mom! Someone took her!” Amy swallowed her tears. “Go to the safe house. I'll meet you there and we'll get mom back!” Amy's dad instantly believed her. “I love you Amy. Get to the safe house as fast as possible.” “I love you too dad. See you soon.” The weird phone device hung up.


“We have to go to Oregon.” Amy told Mathew. “Oregon! You do realize that we are in California, right? Oregon is days away!” Mathew said. “I know where we are and how far Oregon is, but if you value your life and mine you should do as I ask. Please Mathew, Oregon is our only hope.” Amy replied calmly. Suddenly Amy started hearing her mothers voice, like an echo in the distance. “Wait! Did you hear that?” Amy asked Mathew, she turned to him and he was gone. Nowhere to be found. The echo started getting louder and louder in Amy's head. Until suddenly she flew up out of the hospital bed, her mother standing beside her. Panting like she had just sprinted for ten miles, she looked around the hospital thinking that it couldn't of all been a dream. “Amy! Your alright!” Her mother said with a big relief, as she began to cry. “The doctors said you weren't going to make it! I knew you would! I knew you'd come back to me!” Her mother was standing beside the bed hugging Amy so tightly she could hardly breathe. After about ten minutes her mother finally loosened her grip. “Mom? What happened to me?” Amy asked completely clueless. “You don't remember?” Her mother asked worriedly. “You got into a car accident with your father. He's fine, but you've been in a coma for three months.” “What?” Amy was completely shocked. Everything in her dream felt so real... Now how would she be able to tell a dream from reality?