Freak | Teen Ink

Freak

By Cameron Nelson GOLD, Sugarland, Texas
Cameron Nelson GOLD, Sugarland, Texas

To be a freak of nature is not a curse, it is a handsome work of art.  To be different is not a cancer to be cut out, it is a flower in need of nurturing.  It is a symbol of a being’s uniqueness.  It is a stamp that can’t be changed.  It is an eternal trade mark that cannot be replaced.  
To the people of today, an undesirable feature is considered an ailment and must immediately be removed.  If a person with an unappealing characteristic is born and cannot be helped, then they are condemned to be outcasts.  But what is to stop them you from living as they do?  Nothing, nothing is the answer.   If one’s skull is deformed, what is to stop them from composing music?  If one’s legs are misshaped, what powerful force will stop them from playing with their children?  There is nothing stopping you from enjoying life with those you love and those that love you.  
ImageDon’t blame yourself, don’t blame you parents, and don’t blame your God for what you are.  Blame the rigid, “perfectly shaped” back bone of society.  Society has created this bias against you, Society has punished you for your appearance, and society is to blame.  Society may have labeled you as a freak, but the true freak is the person that persecutes, the one the hates, the one that treats anyone as less than.  From the words of the late Joseph Merrick to masses of people, “I are not an animal, I am a human being”.