The Perfect Day | Teen Ink

The Perfect Day

By pandax22 BRONZE, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania
pandax22 BRONZE, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania

As we browsed through a path of orchids on that mid-summer’s day, I then knew the meaning of life.
As I looked down at my Forever Wildflower seeds commemorating his life lived, I closed my eyes as I drifted away to my perfect day.
As I sat and watched the sun rise slowly over the mountaintops at the cabin, a teardrop swiftly fell from my cheek onto ground. The sunrise always burns a picture of him in the back of my mind. The family cabin was his favorite place. Sitting on the hillside while staring blankly off into the mountains, I smell a distinct scent that I could pick out anywhere. It was the scent of my Uncle Ric.
The scent was that of a strong, unique cologne that I have never smelled anything like it before. When I would smell it, I knew he was near. This was always a comforting factor to me. But this time, the scent was different. It felt as if there was a presence along with the scent. It was almost as if I was afraid.
I heard a deer sprint onward in the other direction I was staring. As I turned my head to observe, it was nowhere to be found. I then felt the presence next to me. Turning my head back to where I was staring originally, a man was sitting five feet away from me. That man was my deceased Uncle Ric.

A rush of emotions quickly inflicted upon my heart. Cry or smile? I did not know. He graciously touched my hand and said, “It is alright. You are safe. Walk with me.”
It felt as if it was a dream. Seeing my Uncle again, I did not believe was an option until you are welcomed in to heaven. If anything, I knew his presence was real. We walked through the forest for hours; talking about life’s lessons and heaven. I asked him what it was like up there and if he missed us. His response then, made me not so afraid to die.
He told me he saw all of our reactions the day we discovered that he had died of cardiac arrest. He described my mother’s reaction when she found out, and that he knows she thinks of him with each passing day.
The sun was beaming through the trees as we grazed along; reminiscing about how much he left unsaid to my mother and our family. He wanted me to tell her how much he loves her, and always will. However, he wanted me to tell her one important thing; “Remember me and smile, for it is better to forget than remember me and cry. Death ends a life, not a relationship.”
Noon was soon approaching, and before we began our journey, he said that God only sent him from the heavens until noon. I just then had realized this, and quickly became saddened.

He took my hand one last time as we walked our last path through the orchids. Luminous colors of different shades of pink flourished around us. The sun’s radiance reflected tears filling up in my eyes. Smiling, he gracefully stroked the side of my face while wiping away my tears.
Suddenly, a bright light beamed between the tress. I knew it was his time to go. He slowly let his hand fall from my cheek. The last words he spoke to me that day burn in the back of my mind.
Whenever you miss me, look at the Forever Wildflower seeds. When the pain becomes too much to bear, plant them. When the wildflowers soon appear, you will feel a sense of warmth. I am always here with you. Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone. Always remember that. I love you. I’ll be seeing you..
My perfect day would not be so perfect without a perfect ending. If I had the power, I would do something that no one would expect me to do.
To have the perfect day, I would let my mother live this. One last time.

This piece of work was inspired by my Uncle Ric who died suddenly at the age of 50. I hope that people will understand it and relate to it; parallel to the saying, "Love never dies."

That is the most wonderful collection of feelings, thoughts, sensitivities and emotions I have ever read........All of our Love is forever for Ric................Love and Thank You for your beauty,   Joseph, (Trevor, Dolly and Kitty Girl in memory), Jerricho (his special little buddy), Scarlett and Milky Way........... "J"

brad40 said...
Nicely written story, perfectly captures the emotion we all feel when we lose someone we love.

DR_EYE_R said...
on Jan. 14 2011 at 9:48 am
xlnt! outstanding!

rachel1105 said...
on Jan. 14 2011 at 9:23 am
What a wonderful, well-written story! Anyone who has lost someone close can share this feeling. Great work!

jimgina88 said...
on Jan. 14 2011 at 5:26 am
Anyone who has lost a love one or friend, can relate to this story. A good writer can make you feel emotion when reading, and this not only makes us feel, but leaves us wondering...to just have one more day.  That is exactly what this story does, makes us feel. Very impressed! Great job!!!

on Jan. 14 2011 at 4:58 am
love it, great writing also, keep up the good work.

quagmire121 said...
Love this article! It is well written. I know anyone can relate to this in their own way! Thanks for sharing

AmyH2550 said...
This story not only touches the lives of the loved one being missed, but rings true to what it is that makes us remember why that person was special to us...Fabulous use of all the "senses' which we hold dear while trying to hold on to those we miss, mourn, and wish...we had one more day, hour, or converation with...Well written...Touched me...

k99aj1 said...
what a wonderful story that really captivates the loss of a loved one.. It takes you to the day that we all wish we could have with those that we have lost.. Just one more day to walk with that someone to feel them again.. Just one more day .. and that WOULD be the perfect day.. you can really picture it and feel that emotion..

brando875 said...
Awesome job sis, i never knew you could write this good

alti103 said...

Very good, im impressed:)

Much support!

Love, Cody