The Price of Silence | Teen Ink

The Price of Silence

By austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

...one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love....I love...I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. -Mr. Darcy

The man sat in front of the TV, the dim glow bouncing off the cold beer he was sipping. It had been a long day at work, and all he really wanted was a few hours to himself. He stretched his neck, kneading at the knots buried deep.

“Daddy?” A meek voice came from a tiny pajama-clad figure next to the TV’s bluish aura.

No response. A pounding pressure throbbed in the back of his skull.

“Daddy?” The pajama-clad figure was a bit louder now. He positioned himself in front of his father, his miniature hands placed defiantly on his miniature hips.

No response. A searing pain replaced the dull throbs, and the man gritted his teeth.

“Daddy, I think you hurt Mommy’s feelings. She won’t stop crying.” His father waved him away, an unfocused light in his eyes.

No response.

“Look at me!” The pajama-clad figure was blocking the gleam of the TV, his voice a high, reedy whine.

“Get out of the way, brat,” he growled, pushing his son to the ground.

A tear slipped down the pajama-clad figure’s cheek.

And then silence. Finally.

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you for reading and commenting! I actually wrote this for a creative writing class, and the assignment was that the pieces were supposed to be rather brief and descriptive, otherwise I would have expanded and added more detail.  Thanks again!

WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other

If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

You showed, and didn't tell. Good job! You kept your word count down. Great! However, it would probably please others if you could show more action of the father towards his son. what was he thinking at the time? What is themotive behind the silence?

austenite GOLD said...
on Jul. 29 2011 at 11:23 am
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it!

ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

This made me really sad, the tone was so forlorn and distant.  I like how you used the father's point of view instead of the son's, it really shifts how I react to the story.

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

It does make sense! Thanks very much!

on Jul. 18 2011 at 11:36 am
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

This story seemed to be one of those still moments, that leaves a sour taste in your mouth. i was hanging on to every word.

The story wasnt too emotional, yet in me it provoked emotion (if that makes sense :P )

Zinaidia SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

\\\"Whatever you are, be a good one.\\\"

Wow, that story was very touching. I could feel the emotions and it was entertaining the whole way. Good job!

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thanks, JustAnotherOwl! Your comments are always so nice :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thanks very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:59 am
Eno_Bladez GOLD, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

it'll be okay, if it's not okay it's not over.

i love how you said little yet the story i don't know how to say it to me it explained a lot. it played like a mini movie in my head to it was wonderful.

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

That was spectacular! I love how you say so little, but it is SO good and explains a lot.

on Jun. 24 2011 at 10:35 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

You're welcome!!!! :))

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

THank you for reading and commenting! :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Haha, I like that - a mini-movie! :) Thanks!

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thanks! :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you! :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

This was excellent flash fiction!  There weren't too many descriptions, but there were enough so I knew what was going on.  Good job!

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

I love how you wrote so little and yet you were able to make the piece feel like a mini-movie. This was really good. Keep on writing :)

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I actually really like this. You were to the point, not overly descriptive, yet the mood for the story was perfectly done. Great work! :)