Your skin, social class, and religion define who you are. | Teen Ink

Your skin, social class, and religion define who you are.

By vanesa.aguila BRONZE, Mt Prospect, Illinois
vanesa.aguila BRONZE, Mt Prospect, Illinois

Your skin, your social class, your religion define who you are. Everywhere you go someone is judging you or treating you by how you look or by who you are. In our society we have may ways that one person can judge a person or treat them how they want based on their looks. One day as my mom was in a store she and her husband where looking at sunglasses, I believe it was sunglasses hut or something like that. My mom was just looking at them since no body considered in assisting her when she got there. The employee that was working there saw her when she came in but didn’t really assist her. My mom was just looking and trying on some sunglasses, and after being there a while she started talking about all the different brands that they had at the store. Later on the lady started to ask my mom if she needed any help, my mom said no thanks, the lady then started helping her and handing her sunglasses after she heard my mom knew what she was talking about and what she wanted. Just because you see a person doesn’t look they would not know anything doesn’t mean they actually don’t. When my mom got home she told me right away, “ believe it or not when I got there she saw me but didn’t help me, I was close to her and she saw me and turn her back on me”. When my mother told me that I got upset, I got accept because that just shows how so many people can be judgmental just by looking at you, looking at your skin and how you dress. Another thing my mom told me was that when the lady started to help her out the lady saw her purse and said how nice her bag was and the lady started to give her more and more glasses. I know that if the employee hadn’t heard what my mom was telling her husband the lady wouldn’t have assisted her. I know that when you enter certain places people will judge you or treat you based on your color of your skin or based on anything about you. Or say you are at the jewelry store and you go in dressed all nice and they assist you right away and then you come back another day when you just come out of work and are al dirty and they don't even bother on looking at you, that just shows how people get treated based on looks, even at some stores people look at you as if you don't belong there. Many people can tell you that at least once they were looked at or treated a certain way based on their skin, religion, or appearance, nobody should be treated a certain way based on who they are.