Yawgoons! | Teen Ink

Yawgoons!

By sleepy_shock SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
sleepy_shock SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Yawgoons!

It is a scene straight out of a storybook. Bear Mountain glows in the distance, the sun is setting, casting a strange twilight darkening effect across the sky. All is peaceful in the foothills, when suddenly, out of the silence comes a dull roar. Then the screech of tires as, around the bend, roars a ghetto-ed out black 2013 Town & Country surrounded by half a dozen motorcycles. In the back, the 8 Focal 165 W-RC - 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers (priced at $1,999.95 each) blare Ke$ha on full volume.

Four months ago, Scotty “Atcha Boi” Stevens was commenting on one of Brooks Karchner’s videos on Vimeo when he got an Aol Instant Message notification. It was the Yawgoons, and they wanted to know if he was up for a challenge. They told him to meet him at Bear Mountain, California and to bring the boards, the brews, and the boys. Stevens was so stoked; finally he had a chance to meet the up-and-coming Yawgoons! He immediately called Chris Grenier and “Big Mike” Rav and told them about their impending road trip. Then he called Chris Beresford, Halldor Helgason, Shaun Murphy, Spencer Schubert, and Dirty Fraher and the boys. He got them all super stoked with visions of this amazing journey that they were about to embark upon. As meeting the Yawgoons is a dream come true for Scotty, he quickly gets his plans in order. He gives each rider a list of supplies that they will need to bring along. They needed thirty-four jars of deliciously cheesy, salsa con queso and twenty-seven bags of chips for nourishment. They would need 6 junkyard motorcycles (they build them in their backyard) and Scotty’s mom’s minivan, as well as their souped-up golf cart and storage for all the boards. While everybody was getting the supplies Scotty decided to refocus and do a little tramp skating, then dive into some re-edits he was planning to post on changethattape.com. Before he could start any of this though, Fraher skated up with two cases of blue moon and a tin of Copenhagan. Scotty told Fraher that he didn’t want to party, and to save it for the trip but Dirty Fraher does what he wants so he started partying with the boys and soon the entire house was full of people. They were munching on supplies and wasting gas on the golf cart, doing gnarly burnouts so hard that the air reeked of burning rubber, so Scotty had to call the police to get everybody settled down and soon enough everybody had left. Scotty then went back to his room to finish some edits.

In the morning the next week, he called all the boys together and told them to be ready in two months, because he wasn’t up for the trip yet after the previous night’s party. The boys were all disappointed but nobody complained. The next two months flew by, and before anybody knew it, the date of the trip was upon them. So they packed up their bags and threw everything in the van or in the cart and hit the road. Scotty slept on the entire back bench seat as Grenier led the crew on. About seven hours into the drive, they passed a sign that said, “Green Lake.” Big Mike Rav was riding one of the choppers and he made the troop veer off to the lake, because he knew a guy who had a boat out there. They stayed four weeks at Waka Flocka Flame’s Green Lake shack hideaway. He had a fleet of jet skis, boats and a trampoline that floated on top of the water. Every day of their stay, when Beresford and Grenier and the rest of the boys would go out on the water in the boats and jet skis, Scotty would play on the trampoline and work on his edits, refusing to party with the rest of the gang and keeping them in line and uninjured for the big event with the Yawgoons that was coming up. After two weeks of fun in the sun, the troop was ready to move on. So they headed over to LA and picked up Mike Mo Capaldi so that he could witness this gnar session. They stay the night at MikeMo’s mom’s house, because he still lives with her, and he shows them his wall of stuff that his mom made and that he is really embarrassed about. Then MikeMo takes them to the golf range to hit some balls with his new fancy Callaway X HL Hots .
After a couple of days Scotty got sick of waking up to MikeMo bragging to his mom about how many kills he got on Modern Warfare 2, so they left LA and travelled up to Mammoth Mountain to hit a contest that nobody wanted to participate in, but their sponsors all said they had to. So they hit up the contest and Louif Paradis was there, so they asked him if he wanted to accompany them on their journey. Also there was Jed Anderson, holed up in a cabin high up in the mountains, maintaining the BoneZone and shooting new tapes on his VX. Finally, after months of planning and traveling, they were on their way to Bear. Scotty was so excited he could hardly contain himself. He remembered back to when he had met Shaun Murphy and the homies at Mt. Snow. The snow was perfect. Not too soft, not too icy, but just right. Shaun had the diggers build a sick wood jib setup in the backcountry, and then he and the homies went shredding. Shaun front blunt 270’d a nasty kink and Stevens tailgrabbed over the woodpile one-footy. After they got all the shots they needed, they went to the darkroom to develop their pictures. They were all perfect, as Stevens knew they would be. He always liked to say, “Real G’s use film, because they don’t need to see what they’ve just shot, because they know they got it.” As soon as the edit was finished and uploaded to changethattape.com Stevens was on his way home, just itchin’ for a Cobra Dog.
Remembering that day brings warmth to Scotty’s heart as he is drifting through the foothills, and suddenly, he doesn’t want to shred anymore. So he has everybody else go shred while he rents some gnarly Nordica Dobermann GSR EDT EVO skis and heads up the mountain alone. After the last chairlift, he puts on his Glidelite Mohair Mix Custom STS skins and starts his ascension. As he is nearing the peak, he turns around to absorb the view. He sees all that he created, and it is good. The goons are tearing up the park, so he decides to stay on the peak for a bit. He opens his bag of Skittles and only eats the yellows and the reds because they taste the best. Then he skis down to rejoin the crew in their winter-wonder-snowfest.

I was inspired by Scotty Stevens and the Think Thank crew as well as Capita, MikemoCapaldi, Waka Flocka Flame, Soulja Boii, My boy Loomans, Bane, s4lem, Ralph Waldo Emerson, the human centipede, the aquabats and the song "Smang It"