A war of kings | Teen Ink

A war of kings

September 9, 2013
By Owen Spalding BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
Owen Spalding BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

An old, worked man sat on his chopping block, watching his twin boys play in the field Although envious of their youth, he loved them. He loved them so much he would die for them. So he got up and went to his forge where he pulled out two finely crafted daggers. They shined brightly even in the dark of the shed. As he began to spin his grindstone, two large men entered. The old man looked down grimly, knowing what their purpose was.

“I can not pay this month” he said sadly “My boys won’t be able to eat.”

The first man grumbled and grabbed him by the shoulder “Either your boys eat or the royal guard eats. Now pay” he demanded sternly.

“Let go of me!” the old man shouted “I do not respect the guard!” He threw a small punch and tried to run.


One of the guards slammed the old man down and a beating ensued. After a horrible blood letting, the money was procured and the guards left. The beaten man lay there and slowly turned his head to the door. He saw one of the boys standing in the door way and he closed his eyes, ready to cry.

Weeks passed and the old man was dead. At his burial two glimmering daggers were presented to the boys. The only things left to them by their great father. 

Years past and the boys became great warriors and leaders. They overthrew the old kingdom and a counsel was formed. It was decided that both men be made king and both to rule equally. The first king levied taxes and created a military. The second created a division of labor and distributed parcels of land to the poor. The people were happy but tired after the end of a long campaign.

Finally the kingdom seemed in order and meetings were held with citizens and their representatives to address complaints and concerns. 

Upon one day a weak, humble man entered the palace. He complained that he could not pay his debts and asked for an exemption. The first king got up slowly, as if to grant his wish. He walked over to the man and then grabbed him firmly by the hair. He shoved the man down hard and dragged him in to the the street. He proceeded to stab the man, killing him with his dagger. The first time the king drew blood.

The second king shrieked “how could you do this to the people!” he said terrified.

“My people, brother, must know who is in charge. They must know to take us seriously or we will fail” The first snarled

“This is no method by which to rule!”

"You did not see how our father perished, brother! On that day I learned what fear can accomplish and fear is the only method to rule by!"

Hereafter the kingdom was divided by the counsel. Each king would have his half to try and prove himself the better ruler. After a few years the counsel would reunite the kings and make a final decision.

So it came to pass that many years went by. The kingdom of the second king grew strong but its rules were strict and its people cold. The first king worked in his peoples fields and he provided for them. His people were compassionate but weak.

After many years of this the counsel finally met with the two brothers who had not spoken since the killing. They greeted each other formally. As they shared a hug both remembered playing in the fields. Suddenly a silvered dagger, who’s beauty had only one twin, slipped into the hand of one of the two brothers. He plunged it deeply into the back of the other and took his rightful place as king.


Greed and honor can not survive together. One must always kill the other and one must always win.


The author's comments:
For me I really want this piece to start a debate. Which brother killed the other? Both sides have excellent arguments so dig deep. In the end the decision is up to you