With Every Step You Take | Teen Ink

With Every Step You Take

March 3, 2014
By laryssa_zamora BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
laryssa_zamora BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's beautiful over there. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere and I hope it's beautiful.


The crick in your neck, the slump in your shoulders, and the strain in your eyes…these things all tell the story of your night. You didn’t get sleep, you tossed and you turned. The mistakes and regrets flooding your head, you’re reliving it all over again. You can hold your head high and pretend all you want, but we both know the past follows you everywhere. Some days are better than others and sometimes we almost forget. In the morning, when you first wake up is that moment of complete bliss. You sit in bed for a while, content with it all, staring at the ceiling, taking advantage of it. Then that moment passes and it all comes rushing back, hitting you harder than ever before. Everyone has scars; they’re like your own personal roadmap to each individual’s history. The best way to relieve the fears of your past is to accept it, embrace it. People can’t hurt you unless you let them, that is a lesson you thought you learned long ago. Whenever you step into the room, you put on a mask. A mask of clarity, ignorance and confidence. I often wonder if I’m the only one who sees it, and I pray to God I’m not. You act like you’re not hurting; you always put on a show. The thing is, that won’t work with me. I play that part better than anyone else. I know you better than you know yourself, I just wish you’d let me help. Leaving me in that plain painted back round you call home should be your biggest regret.