Back in the Picture | Teen Ink

Back in the Picture

By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“I’m away for one day and she’s back in the picture?” She c***ed her head, flipped her blond hair and pursed her lips expectantly.
     “Damn it,” he muttered. His hands fiddled with the neck of his brown sweater. All of a sudden the empty school hallway felt too hot. All his friends were waiting for him at lunch; they would wonder where he was.
     “Did you really think blocking me on Snapchat would stop me from finding this out?” There was a silence. She felt tears prick the back of her eyes as she saw the recognition on his face. Her weekend had been spoiled the moment her friends sent her the video of him and that girl.
     “I swear it wasn’t like that,” he started weakly. There was no getting out of this one. He knew he shouldn’t have done it; Jas was so manipulative! When she asked him out the first time, it was fine— he should’ve expected something to go wrong the second.
     “Sure looks it to me, Jake.” She put her hand on her hip and looked up at him. He saw tears pooling in her big brown eyes, dangerously close to spilling over. Jake’s face grew hot. He couldn’t stand seeing Laura cry.
     “Really, I would never… it was all her—” He fumbled over his words, struggling to come up with an explanation. He ran his hands through his messy brown hair. The excuse he had come up with in front of his bathroom mirror had sounded a lot better when Laura wasn’t crying before him.
     “Jake, I’m honestly so sick of this dumb crap,” she sighed and hiccupped, wiping her eyes and smearing her eyeliner in doing so. He looked away. He had really screwed up this time.
     “I don’t know what to say, babe…”
     “Please don’t call me that.” She gave him one last wistful look and walked past him toward the cafeteria.
     His shoulders sagged as he watched her turn the corner. He slammed his locker shut. Two weeks! He kept it a secret for two whole weeks until this happened. How could he have been so stupid to post something? He was a different person around Jas, honestly. And Laura. How could he have done this to her? Jake hit the locker door in frustration, causing a bang.
     “Whoa, bro.” A senior walked by, trying to avoid Jake’s swinging fists. “Chill. It couldn’t be that bad.” He chuckled. Jake leaned against the wall in resignation. It couldn’t be that bad.