Listening In | Teen Ink

Listening In

By kylie.cat BRONZE, Bossier City, Louisiana
kylie.cat BRONZE, Bossier City, Louisiana

It was dark, and I was alone. No one was around, and the streetlights lit up the road ahead. The perfect spot was just around the bend. I pulled up next to the telephone pole and turned the car off. I jumped out and took my equipment out of the box. The pole was dimly lit by the light above me. That was going to be a problem, so I snipped a couple of wires, and the light went out. Then came the fun part. I pulled the connectors out and latched them into the pole. Headphones on, I tuned in with the channel changer. I listened for voices as I flipped through the cables. A high buzzing noise came from channel nine, meaning a call was being made. I listened for a second, and the buzz stopped as the recipient of the call picked up.
“Hello?” “Hey.” “Oh hey, what’s up?” “Not much, just wanted to let you know that I’m going to wear a red dress, so I was wondering what color you were going to wear.” “Well if you’re wearing red, I guess I’ll do black.” “Okay. Did you tell Brian you’re not going with him? I hate Brian.” “Yeah I told him. He didn’t take it lightly. He actually hit me.” “He hit you?! Oh now I’m really going to kill him. He’s dead.” “Oh don’t do that. Can’t we just have a nice prom?” “Fine. I won’t kill him. Not until after the dance.” “I can live with that. Hey, I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” “Okay, see you then.” “Bye.” “Bye.”
  Silence. Did I just listen to a plan to murder a kid? Oh well. I flipped through more channels until the buzz sounded again on channel twenty-three. The call was picked up.
“Hey, sweetheart!” “Hi, Gramma.” “How are you? I never get to see you anymore. You need to come up to my house and get some dinner. You look so thin on facebook.” “Gramma, that's the point. I'm trying to lose some weight.” “Oh. Well you look beautiful.” “Thank you.” “ So when are you going to get a boyfriend?” “I don't know, I'm trying my best, but it's not enough I guess.” “Don't worry. You're going to find someone soon enough. Oh, I'm going up the hill so I'll have to let you go. Talk to you soon.” “Okay, love you Gramma.” “I love you too. Bye sweetheart.” “Bye.”
I thought about the girl trying to lose weight and get a boyfriend. She probably wouldn't want someone listening to her conversation with her gramma. Too bad. Channel thirty-five brought the buzz back. I waited.
“Hello?” “Hey man. What's up? Listen, I have a problem. Elle doesn't want to go to prom with me.” “Why not?” “I don't know. I think she was about to tell me, but I kinda lashed out and hit her.” “Brian! That's terrible! Why would you do that?” “I don't know it just came over me and I just hit her.” “Dude I don't know what you were thinking, but now you’re in huge trouble. Cathy will literally kill you.” “I know, I know. What do I do?” “Well, watch your back for one, and try not to be a horrible person next time.” “Alright that’s been noted.” “I think I should go. Bye Brian.” “Bye.”
So that’s Brian. He sounded like he needs to get to get his life straightened out. I kept flipping through the channels until a bright light stopped me where I was. Channel fourty-seven. The police channel.
“It appears to be an approximately six feet tall, white male, dressed in all black. He’s got what looks like a remote and headphones. It’s connected to the telephone pole. I think he’s listening to something.”
I dropped my remote and thought about weather to run or not. I decided to just go with the flow.
“He dropped the remote. He’s coming toward the cruiser. He’s surrendering himself. Parsons is handcuffing him now.”
My headphones came off as the officer put me into the car. What a fun night. I couldn’t wait to get out and do it again.

phreaker:
noun
A person who hacks into a telecommunications system.