Misplaced Trust | Teen Ink

Misplaced Trust

By mindyf909 PLATINUM, Boca Raton, Florida
mindyf909 PLATINUM, Boca Raton, Florida

No one thought that it would ever really happen. But here we are, in the desert, somewhere in the Middle East waiting for our new allies. After thousands of years of conflict with an immortal enemy, we Vampires find ourselves facing an even greater threat in the third millennium. Our only choice for ultimate survival was to team up with our ancient enemy, the Werewolves. With the human race nearly extinct due to an unstoppable virus released by “religious martyrs” those left standing were the most brutal. They called themselves holy fighters but our leader, General Vain, just calls them terrorists. Now, these same terrorists are after us. My name is Hope, a human secretly living among the Vampires. I lived to tell this story.

The Werewolves arrived at night undercover of darkness. What began as a trickle became an ocean of fangs, fur and slobber. Not to mention odor that can’t be described. A sense of mistrust was in the air. Hundreds of year of hatred couldn’t be ignored. But we had no choice. Trouble between “us” and the enemy began sooner than anyone expected. The terrorists were aware of unnatural alliance and launched a surprise attack on our camp. Luckily for us, they didn’t know what powers await them. In a flash, the Vamps were everywhere. General Vain shrieked out orders in a bloodthirsty cry while Commander Howel barked at his pack of fanged and clawed killers. I took a position on the high ground near the battle safe from harm. Within days the outcome of this great battle was clear. The terrorists never stood a chance. They were slaughtered one by one by packs of wolves and skillful Vamps. The terrorists that survived and fled were eventually hunted down until not one remained. But this wasn’t to be the only epic battle for survival I would witness in my lifetime.

The joyous celebration between Vamps and Wolves lasted for days. At first, the warriors from both sides swapped battle stories and seemed like true comrades. But this was only an illusion. Both Generals claimed to be the true hero and said they could have done it all by themselves. General Vain said the terrorists were weak humans.

“It turns out we didn’t need your help after all, Commander Howel. Sorry to have troubled you and made you come all this way.”

“Not to worry, General Vain. Your kind has claimed to be superior to us,‘filthy dogs’, for thousands of years.”

The leaders smiled suspiciously at each other and walked away.

Meanwhile, both the Vamps and the Wolves returned to their separate camps. General Vain saw an opportunity to take over.

“We Vamps have never been so powerful. If we can eliminate one enemy so easily, why not another? I declare war on the Wolves!”

Suddenly, chaos broke out in the camp and the unwritten treaty was broken. Once again, Vamps and Wolves were foes. All of my hopes for a new age of peace and trust were shattered forever. My dream of a new era left even faster than it came. All that was left was destruction and the smell of death.

Unlike the total elimination of the terrorists, both Wolves and Vamps survived in great numbers. Neither had the will to fight once more. The two leaders agreed to go their separate ways. The wolves would return to their lands far away from the Vamps. The Vamps would continue to live in their cities. Life seemed as it was before.

However, the Wolves’ misplaced trust would be forever imprinted in their memories. Seeing how brutal the two sides were and how dishonesty led them no where, I could no longer hide that I was human. I revealed to General Vain my true identity. To my surprise, he accepted who I was and invited me to live among them. But I could not. I return to a hidden community of my own kind and taught them the lesson I had learned. My name is Hope and I survived.