Dark Reality | Teen Ink

Dark Reality

By Allikat97 SILVER, Gig Harbor, Washington
Allikat97 SILVER, Gig Harbor, Washington

Last night was the night that witches and goblins, ghouls and ghosts, and monsters and the undead emerge from the shadows to wreak havoc on us poor unfortunate humans. At least, that’s what everyone else likes to believe. I, however, did not. All of that Halloween hullabaloo was all just utter nonsense, vampires and witches were just a myth made to scare little kids into behaving. Well, that’s what I thought. You always watch the news and hear about those terrible and gruesome deaths and think to yourself, “Well, that’s sad and all, but that could never happen to me.” Until it does happen to you. Except you become something else. Something much worse than those horrible murderers.

Yesterday October 31st
“Abby, hurry up! All the good costumes are probably gone already because somebody just had to wait until the last minute to get a costume.”
“Oh just give it a rest Maddy. I don’t even want a costume anyway.”
Maddy whirls around in a mass of blonde-haired fury and gives me her best glare before gripping my hand and dragging me off to the local costume shop. Maddison Alexander. Most popular girl in school, my best friend, and also my twin sister. Although we’re twins, we look absolutely nothing alike. Maddy is tall and thin with curves in all the right places. She has long blonde hair that falls in perfect ringlets and she is also the most outgoing and sweetest girl at school. Whereas I am short and curvy (alright maybe even a little chubby), with unruly, medium length, curly black hair and in perfect contrast to my sister, I am the quietest and most awkward girl at the school. The only thing we share is our bright blue eyes but other than that we look nothing like the twins we are.
“Oh my god, Abby, we can’t go to the Halloween party if you’re not wearing a costume! It’ll be social suicide!”
I shake my head and tune her out as I run my fingers along the costumes on the racks. Despite it being Halloween day there are a lot of good costumes to choose from still. I take down a “sexy nurse” costume, this’ll probably make Maddy happy. As I’m looking at the two pieces of thin fabric in my hand I hear the bell above the door go off and, curiously, I glance up to see who entered the store and I freeze. Directly across the street in the opening of the alley, half hidden in the shadows stands a man. It’s him. The man from my nightmares. I can’t even see his face and yet I just know it’s him. His outfit is simple with a plain black t-shirt, dark wash jeans, black combat boots, and a leather jacket but yet something about it causes a sense of dread to wash over me. I drop the costume and stumble backwards into the next rack,
“Maddy…” I whisper hoarsely.
“Abby, have you picked something yet? We really--” she stops mid-sentence when she sees my face.
“Are you alright? What’s wrong?”
“It’s him Maddy. Look!”
She turns to look where my finger is pointing,
“Who Abby? Where?
I finally look up and to my horror, he’s gone.
“Nevermind,” I try to speak calmly as I bend down to grab the costume I had dropped, “I’ll just get this one, lets go.”
I walk robotically over to the cash register to pay for the costume leaving Maddy with her mouth hanging open in confusion. She finally regains her composure and walks out the door with me. The car ride home is awkward at best and I know she probably thinks I’m crazy, and maybe I am. But I know what I saw or better WHO I saw. As soon as we get home I rush into the house and up to my room, I tear it apart looking for the drawing until I finally find it. It was him, the man I saw earlier looked exactly like the drawing of the man from my nightmares. 
I decide to lay down and try to clear my head but instead I end up falling asleep.
“Hello Abigail, it was a pleasure seeing you in the flesh earlier.”
I spin around in a mix of horror and confusion. It’s him again. He’s never spoken to me in the dream before, but then again I’ve never seen him outside the dream before until earlier today either.
“Who are you? What do you want from me?” I ask shakily.
“Why, I don’t want anything from you. The king, however, wants you very badly and I intend to bring you to him. You have the choice of either coming willingly and accepting your fate, or you can fight me and I will gladly drag you back to Hell with me.” As he says this his eyes glint black, startled I take a step back. As I continue to stare at him my head becomes cloudy and before I know it everything turns black.