Spread The Word To End The Word | Teen Ink

Spread The Word To End The Word

By Gianna016 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Gianna016 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

“It’s just a word,” they say.  Even though the bullies aren’t saying it to me, it hurts.  As a member of Best Buddies, I made friendships with students who have special needs and disabilities.  Even though these kids are in special education classes, it doesn’t mean they are different.  They want to have friendships and be successful as the rest of us do.  Unfortunately, sometimes they are bullied.  “Spread The Word To End The Word” is something Arrowhead initiated last year in order to minimize bullying.

Spread The Word To End The Word is designed to help raise awareness of the hurtfulness of the ‘R’ word, retard.  Last year, students and staff members at Arrowhead High School purchased T-shirts and signed a banner to commit to stop saying the ‘R’ word. Students took the pledge and filled the banner, edge to edge.  And it was promising to see students were willing to stop being bystanders and put an end to verbal bullying. 

The ‘R’ word is offensive.  It is disrespectful to whom it is being said to and to all special educations students.  Even when it isn’t being said directly to a person, I feel as though a boulder is plummeting in my stomach.

Before this initiative the ‘R’ word was thrown around in conversation and to friends who were ‘just joking around’ with one another. However, since Arrowhead  increased awareness, the use of the ‘R’ word is decreasing. 

Other schools should bring awareness to this cause, because I see the light that comes to these students’ eyes when they are included in groups and treated with respect.  No one asks to be bullied, but that doesn’t mean we can’t ask the bullies to put an end to their ways.