Best Buddy Night | Teen Ink

Best Buddy Night

March 24, 2015
By Derz1997 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Derz1997 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   At the beginning of the year, I saw a boy with a disability searching for a lunch table.  My table (of 10 boys) and I went over to Andy and asked him if he wanted to sit with us. He did not say anything--he just walked with us to our table.
   

During the first weeks, he sat in silence. But over time, he became comfortable. With his disability, he struggles to talk, but if you take his cookie to stop him from throwing food, he’ll let you know “HEY! Give that back!”
  By the end of the semester, he goofed around and became comfortable with us. With Andy and I becoming close, I wanted to give back to the community. This is when I came up with an idea to help other people end bullying and accept people who are different.
   

On October 10th, 2014, it was senior night for the boys’ football team. But that was the least important event this night. Fifteen seniors and I chose a buddy with special needs to attend the game in our honor. We gave our buddy our jersey—and they wore that jersey onto the field. They were introduced just like they were a player on the team. Seeing my buddy’s face when he heard his name was one of the best moments of my life. I felt a joy and honor seeing how excited he was in front of 4,000 fans.
   

Recognizing these students showed people that even if someone has a disability, they are just like everyone else and should be accepted.
   

For a guy who doesn't show emotions, this was a experience for both me and him--and one we won’t soon forget.
   

To this day at lunch, Andy always says softly and slowly “football field.” This makes everything worth it because he remembers that night fondly. And I think back and remember the positive difference I made in my community in showing that everyone should be accepted.