Are We Humane to Whales? | Teen Ink

Are We Humane to Whales?

By ANakedPanda BRONZE, Sacramento, California
ANakedPanda BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Imagine this, the killer whale, a three ton mammal stuck in a medium-sized pool for life. It’s freedom is performing shows in a slightly larger pool. This is what Tilikum from SeaWorld has been experiencing for his entire life. This is the endless cycle of time, pushing Tilikum towards an inevitable end in San Diego, California. Tilikum and ten other whales have been kept in cramped pools from the day they were born. In these past years, scientists and killer whale activists have been trying to find a way to allow these animals to retire from SeaWorld and experience the wild by setting up sea pen sanctuaries along side the coast. These sanctiaries would have nets for boundaries, the whales would be free to swim for miles long allowing them to experience the wild and interact with other whales and sea creatures. Meanwhile, these sanctuaries will keep the whales close so we can watch them, care for them, and conduct research, while allowing them to roam in an area large enough for their needs.

Numerous cases have proved that not only are killer whales frustrated living in their current conditions, but these conditions are leading to injury and even the death of trainers. Even though killer whales are trained, trainers can never train animal instinct out of them. On multiple occasions, whales have attacked trainers due to frustration. Most of this frustration comes from how SeaWorld treats the orcas. Conditions are horrid, small housing for whales, little interaction with others whales, and food is only timely or rewarded. Whales are forced to learn uncomfortable tricks, if not done correctly, they are subject to punishment. This should be considered as animal abuse. After all this torture, I believe they have the right to be frustrated. Why do we treat such majestic animals like this? Why are we treating such intelligent animals like props? Is this what we consider humane?

The differences in a wild killer whale and a captive one is beyond comparison. In a study, ecologists found out that a wild killer whale has never intentionally injured or killed a human while studies on captive whales show over a hundred of attacks ranging from injury to death. Even though SeaWorld claims that the medical facilities are aiding the whales and keeping them mentally and physically healthy,  Statistics and facts have proven this otherwise. The difference between the mentality of the wild and captive whales are incredibly different. Studies by Dr. Hope Ferdowsian and his team show that whales and other animals such as chimpanzees or elephants have PTSD or other mental disabilities (Bekoff 2). Being stuck in captivity and performing unnatural tricks cause them become “broken”. A former trainer from SeaWorld, John Hargrove explains that the whales “float emotionless for hours staring at a concrete wall because there's nothing for them to do” (Ziv 9). Killer whales are intelligent animals and they deserve to roam free. Giving the space they need will help their mentality and lead to a steady recovery of killer whales.

Whales are incredibly similar to humans,they feel emotions, they feel pain and they feel frustration. Instead of locking them up we should allow them to feel the freedom they deserve. Seapen sanctuaries are the closest thing we can give them to their natural habitat. The locations of these sanctuaries can vary from anywhere orcas are compatible with to wide open bays with other marine creatures. With the sanctuaries we can always track them by using acoustic technology and this way we can give them freedom and take care of them at the same time. If money becomes a problem, the sanctuaries could also be used as a tourist attraction and a sightseeing location to earn money to benefit the establishment and the whales. This can also provide education to students about the habitat and animals found in the sanctuaries. These sanctuaries will be a symbol and vanguard for animal rights. After years of hurting killer whales, it’s finally time to help them.

The killer whale community has come a long way from its roots, with the cease of whale shows and breeding, it is time for the next step. this piece is written to explain why Seapens are necessary and why we need to set free the whales.