A Slow Death | Teen Ink

A Slow Death

By Kyleigh Rhodes BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Kyleigh Rhodes BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

People always talk about world peace and how corrupt the government is, but they never seem to do anything about it. I sometimes wonder why people don’t care more about their rights and the things that the government does behind our backs, harming millions of people. It’s a shame that the sake of humanity is so low on most people’s priority lists, and how blind they can be to the things around them. One of the main things I have been mainly concerned with however is the food, us humans, are consuming each and every day. Monsanto has created a new breed of food otherwise known to people as genetically modified organisms or GMOs.

To some people GMOs may be a new phrase, and Monsanto is just a company they see on a Super Bowl commercial and assume it is good. The government bends out of their way so much just to make sure people don’t know the truth of Monsanto’s creations.
Knowing the damages to health that this food causes, Obama signed a bill named “Monsanto Protection Act” specifically to protect them from being sued due to life threatening health effects. Little do people know, Monsanto was founded all the way back in 1901, in St. Louis. The first product they produced was an artificial sweetener, saccharin. Fascinated with the new creation, especially during the sugar rationing during both world wars, people swarmed the stores like bees to get their hands on the artificial sweetener. Little did they know, this product would soon be found to be linked to cancer in the immune systems of rats experimented on. Their list goes on to include powerful chemicals such as Round Up, aspartame, Agent Orange, and their best yet GMOs.

Agent Orange was originally created during the Vietnam War. They used it as chemical warfare to spray over the country. This product directly harmed over a million people, which over 400,000 were killed immediately and 500,000 were innocent little babies born with excruciating birth defects. The same chemical components are used to genetically engineer crops today in the United States by Monsanto to prevent weeds from attacking them. We wonder as Americans why cancer levels have skyrocketed in the past few decades, and how the word cancer is brought into families so often every day. Many times we don’t realize the damage we are doing to our bodies eating this waste until it is too late.

It irks me to know in the United States alone 318 of 100,000 people were diagnosed with cancer in 2012. It may not seem like a big number in that perspective, but put together as one nationwide there were almost a million people diagnosed with cancer, my father being one of them.
In September 2013 a French study concluded that there is a link between GM foods and leukemia, a cancer of the blood. Rats that were fed GMOs, especially the corn and the soy, resulted in tumor masses extruding from the rats bodies, and several reproductive issues.

Twenty-six countries around the world such as Germany, Australia, Switzerland, and even China have banned GMOs from entering their countries. US grown corn was rejected from entering China because they were genetically modified. I can’t seem to put a finger on why the US government would put so much effort into protecting food that is killing the citizens. In a way it seems to me that they want the population to decrease, and what a better way to do it than poisoning our food. Could it be because Monsanto is one of the wealthiest companies today, and they help fund the government? I find it shameful to be a part of a country that is purposely giving their own people cancer, and no one really stands up to it.

When I try to spread the word of how bad GMOs are I get negative responses. “I don’t care what I am eating as long as it tastes good,” my cousin Blaine told me after I explained to him why I am boycotting genetically modified foods.
I ponder about how people can know something is harmful to their bodies, but continue to indulge themselves into the high fructose corn syrup and aspartame filled products. My father was a heavy drinker of Diet Coke, sugar free but filled with aspartame.
“You should stop drinking Diet Coke dad, I just found out it can cause cancer,” my brother Shane warned my father.
“I’m 54 years old there is nothing I can do about it now,” my dad sarcastically told my brother. Just a few short months later, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, a cancer caused mainly by an unhealthy diet. This so called “conspiracy” quickly turned to reality for my family, and I am watching firsthand the effects of GMOs.

Have people stopped caring about their bodies and health? Or are they just brainwashed by the glamorous celebrities enjoying genetically modified foods on commercials sponsored by the government.

I was told by a full grown man, “genetically modified foods are better for people because they contain more nutrients.” This is exactly what the government wants people to think; however, those nutrients are chemical compounds injected into the plants, not natural. As I explained to him how that was harmful to someone’s body he went on to say, “I think the next war will be because of food or water.”

Avoiding GMO foods has been one of my number one priorities in the past few months. As much as I would like to believe that the government wouldn’t do this to the citizens, it is clear as day. Informing as many people as I can, I am doing my best to spread the word of the dangers of genetically modified foods.

Whether it just be to encourage the people to demand labeling of GMOs and just let people make the decision to be healthy or not, or the overall ban of them, I would really like to see a change. If there is one thing in the world that needs attention brought to it, it is the true face of GMOs. There needs to be a change, for the sake of the people of our world.

Stumbling upon the truth in the spring of 2013, Kyleigh quickly became a food activist. Learning about the dangers of genetically modified foods, she tried to warn everyone around her. Researching and spreading the word was all she wanted to do. That summer she learned that it was already too late for her father; he was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer, caused mainly by a person’s diet. To this day she strives to warn people of the effects before it is too late for yet another family, and hoping to make a change for the good of humanity.