End the D.A.R.E. Dynasty | Teen Ink

End the D.A.R.E. Dynasty

March 5, 2012
By Bernard Slawomirski GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bernard Slawomirski GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“End the D.A.R.E. Dynasty” by Sarah C earnestly and truthfully penetrates into the faults and failures of the U.S. D.A.R.E. program, encouraging people to stand up to improve their government. The D.A.R.E., Drug Abuse Resistance Education, program is supposed to be one of the foremost combatants of the greatest cause of death in America each year: drug and alcohol addiction. According to the organization’s curriculum, police officers come to children’s classrooms to teach them about the perils that derive from alcohol and drugs. Such lessons are annually taught to thirty-six million students worldwide. However, they do little to prevent drug use and alcohol consumption, sometimes even accomplishing the reverse of their goals.

As Sarah states, D.A.R.E. desperately needs to be overhauled or replaced. The government spends 1.3 billion dollars a year in supporting this useless organization, and in the economic recession that we are in right now, we cannot afford to squander such significant sums. I thank her for drawing this issue to the attention of myself and my fellow Teen Ink readers. Restructuring this program would not only help avoid the thousands of vain deaths that happen around the world, but it would also become an example of how government and the public can work together for the benefit of the country and for all. In these modern times, we need to be aware as citizens of what is happening around us, and desire to make a change. This article is an excellent exemplar of what being proactive people is really about. By writing such a piece, Sarah has motivated us and herself to improve society. One day soon we will dare to reform D.A.R.E.