Feedback on "Secondhand Insecurity" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Secondhand Insecurity"

By ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
--Edgar Allan Poe

The article, “Secondhand Insecurity,” by Allison Ives of Canada in the October issue of Teen Ink enlightens how our society advises us about harmful chemicals such as the addictive substances in cigarettes and the non-organic, genetically-modified preservatives in our food; however, they leave out how people’s words and thoughts are detrimental to our mental and physical health as well.  The persuasive, eloquent article justifies the fact that the people that we surround ourselves with can be just as dangerous as the drugs and poisons that are present in our neighborhoods today.  Friends and family that are insecure themselves spread their insecurity to others around them just like a plague, invading and infecting.  The contagious state of insecurity in people are accurately described in the brilliant, well-developed piece.
     I can relate to the article because everyday in school I am surrounded by peers that are very self-conscious and that sometimes affects and influences how others, including myself, act. I can especially relate to the line, “We pass on what we hate about ourselves, but it doesn’t make us feel better about how we look.”  Playful jealousy or just “complimenting” someone and comparing yourself to them isn’t going to change anything about yourself; all it does is make you and the person you compare yourself with feel worse.  Allison Ives’s article brings notice to how negativity is poisonous.  It left me feeling more aware about how people’s self-doubt is spreading.