Feedback on The Selection | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Selection

October 13, 2014
By cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York
cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All we ever see or seem is but a dream within a dream"


"The Selection" by Anna Johnson is a riveting poem about societal body standards for women. Anna compares these regulations to a market's standards for butcher meat. This poem provided an interesting perspective on the portrayal of physical attractiveness in today's society, and it left me in awe at it's eloquent accuracy.

I was enchanted by the author's use of figurative language in the poem. One such line that stands out to me is, "My body has been beaten to market standards...Yet after all of this, their choice is still unknown". This metaphor shows how dehumanizing body standards can be. They make one feel like less than a person, like meat being manipulated to a butcher market's standards of an ideal cut. In addition, the line also talks about how, even after all the changing and manipulation, there is no guarantee that you will be perfect. There will always something else to change about yourself to make you the perfect "customer's choice". It was the powerful, yet simplistic lines like this that intrigued me about the poem"The Selection".