Feed back on “I Mistook Self- Injury for Salvation” | Teen Ink

Feed back on “I Mistook Self- Injury for Salvation”

By phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York

The poem “I Mistook Self- Injury for Salvation” by Alana Hubbell jumped off the page, and coiled around my mind. I looked at it from every angle, but it still fascinated me in every way. I adored that it was deep, and I adored how the author added brilliant metaphors and imagery. The poem is about a serious and gruesome topic, about how people inflict pain upon themselves. The poem describes the narrator and her thought on hurting themself. The narrator believed it was a tempting way out, just like in an avalanche. This inspirational piece showed that  there are other ways out of situations, even if they are not so apparent. I stopped at many painful places, just as depicted in the poem, and I agree with the author. There are other ways out.
This piece of writing made me realize things I never thought about in depth before. It shot me with a bullet that healed me at the same time. Writing about such a powerful and realistic topic, in such an alluring way made me have a second thought on life. There were certain parts that I loved in this poem. The beginning was perfect. Instead of diving in, the author gradually introduced the topic. Adding the avalanche built upon the imagery, and inserted strong thoughts into the readers head. Also, the transition between the snow and the personal account was flawless. The two lines “That you are only making your grave deeper, I made my grave deeper,” fit together like puzzle pieces. Her writing style, also, was simple and concise, yet every line grew deeper and deeper into the subject.
A poem like this one should keep on appearing from one issue to the next. Alana picked such a depressing and frightening subject, and made it into an exquisite poem.Thank you for opening my eyes to the world out there, Alana!