Why I Hated "The Fault in Our Stars" | Teen Ink

Why I Hated "The Fault in Our Stars"

January 25, 2015
By ayabx SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
ayabx SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will finally know peace."


"Why I Hated 'The Fault in Our Stars'" by Emily Garber was great and relatable. "The Fault in Our Stars" is a very well-known book that has girls crying by the end. Emily Garber, however, didn't shed a tear. Her friend recommended it to her and she decided to read it  She thought the book was good. "Not amazing, but good." Then, the author talks about the movie in which she still didn't cry. Emily also mentions her father who has stage IV glioblastoma. After his brain surgery, he still wasn't the same. She ends the piece with a great closing. "If only they knew what my father went through, then the story of Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters would have seemed like a cake-walk."
     When I read the book, I also didn't cry. I thought it was great and I appreciated the non-cliché plot. It just didn't get to me like it did to others. I have had family members with cancer, but I've never personally gone through what Emily has. This makes the piece relatable, but still original.