Feedback on "The F-Word" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The F-Word"

January 26, 2015
By Domango_the_Domino BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Domango_the_Domino BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The article "The F-Word" by Jasmine Hart was a pretty insightful reading into a classic case of perception versus reality. In this case, the topic is feminism, and what it's best defined as. Albeit the article is a semi-history lesson defining past events of society's unequal treatment of the two genders, it was a solid article. It was a solid article because I actually learned something from it. I've found feminism across the internet is pasted in an extremely negative light, with mocking terms such as "feminazi" coming to light in particular.
How do I support feminism? I'm neutral, is the most I'd say. Speaking out on a currently controversial subject without much knowledge on it doesn't seem to work in my favor. As said before, it's particularly viewed with negativity nowadays, and the article notes this by saying, "When  I tell people I'm a feministy, it seems as though I get nothing but negative reactions."
I can understand why this article was written. It makes sense to provide some information on a modern subject, and that's good. The author provides examples of how females have been out of the loop for quite a while throughout history, all in the effort to define what feminism is. It's a solid article.