Feedback on "Wilson, the Princess" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Wilson, the Princess"

By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Wilson, the Princess" by "Allie" opens with a story about a boy named Wilson who was very feminine as a child and was seen as, "not normal", but not questioned because of his young age. the author goes on to describe how when gender roles created by society are not fufilled, people treat those individuals poorly. Relating this back to the story about Wilson, the author reflects on where he may be now and whether his feminine traits have led him to change genders, or if he was bullied because of them. This inspiring story faced the issued of gender discrimination in an eye-opening way. 

The author used Wilson's story to bring the larger issue of gender prejudice to a more personal level. She describes wondering about Wilson and whether, "he's had to hide who he really is" or "the other kids call him 'pu**y' or 'fag'." After reading about his story and innocence, you can't help but feel upset at the posibilities of his treatment. This article as a whole really made me greater understand the circumstances kids like Wilson go through, through the use of descriptive language and deeper insight on Wilson's situation.