Feedback on "'But You Don't Look Sick...'" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "'But You Don't Look Sick...'"

November 5, 2015
By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Cassidy DeMona masterfully pens her thoughts in the piece "'But You Don't Look Sick...'" as she describes her struggle to maintain her identity after being diagnosed with postural orsthostatic tachyardia syndrome (POTS.) Since diagnosis, Cassidy has felt like her syndrome has changed how people see her. Classmates, "tell me they feel bad for me" and view her situation as unfortunate but who she is. Cassidy is frustrated by her confinements as the "sick girl." 

While I couldn't help but feel sympathetic for Cassidy, this piece evokes much deeper feelings. As the reader, I had a glimse into her thoughts and how the illness personally affected her. I felt pained when she collapsed on the school trip, distress when Cassidy describes having to quit dance, and anxious when she landed in the hospital after collapsing at a family dinner. This article took me on her journey and ultimately taught me that a person is more than just their disease. Cassidy expresses this perfectly when she explains, "my ilness has shaped me, but it doesn't define me." Cassidy's eloquent piece has so much to share and teach and is definitely an eye opener.