Feedback on "Peanut Butter or Jelly?" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Peanut Butter or Jelly?"

January 6, 2016
By noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Peanut Butter and Jelly" by Courtney Kolberg, serves as a reminder of the importance of individuality and being yourself. Like so many other teenagers Courtney desperately wanted to fit in and was willing to suffer in order to accomplish this. All of the popular girls ate peanut butter and bananas for lunch and to sit with them Courtney knew she had to eat the same thing. Although she absolutely hated the taste and texture of peanut butter, she forced herself to choke it down every day just to conform. Now, looking back on it, Courtney regrets her foolish actions and realizes that she let peer influences take over her, clouding her true personality.  

 

I found this piece inspiring and motivating. It conveys a message to make your own decisions and not care what others think. The author states, “Sacrificing individuality for conformity leaves us with a society of clones.” By copying what everyone else does to fit in, one cannot show their true personality. Many teens can learn this important lesson from Courtney’s story.