Feedback on "'Suck it In'" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "'Suck it In'"

By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“Honey, won’t you suck it in?” asks Kristen Hopkins’ mom, referring to her belly as they took a shot for their holiday card. She reacts accordingly, in this shockingly real piece about the insecurities many teenagers feel as they grow older and change. Kristen does a great job of characterizing each person who plays a role in influencing her body image and describing the atmosphere she grew up in. The repetition of key phrases like “suck it in” emphasize how much body image plays a role in young girls life and how this was not a one time issue.
    The writing style flows from thought to thought seamlessly and internal dialogue allows the reader to connect with Kristen. The struggles she faces apply to so many teenage girls, and while no one may ever feel fully confident in their skin, this memoir’s relatable messages make the reader feel they are not alone. Thank you, Kristen, for artfully penning the thoughts that go through every adolescent’s head at some point in time, and showing us we are not alone.