Feedback on "Our Family Seder" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Our Family Seder"

April 10, 2016
By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    “Our Family Seder” was a delightfully descriptive piece, following Deena Elul’s experiences at her Passover seders. She describes the rituals her family follows, always happening at her grandmother’s home in California. They read from the Haggada, made elaborate Seder plates, and went to their synagogue. She learned how to balance her thoughts and commentary to accommodate the diverse Orthodox and Reform thought in her family. Deena loved this time of year, cherishing the time with her grandmother and cousins. It was familiar to her, until her grandmother passed.
    I  could relate to this on many levels. While my family is not as diligent about follow each of these rituals, Deena’s descriptions of her Seder plates and a house full of guests for the weekend were vivid. I too have experienced this whether at Passover or not, and, “learned to limit myself” to account for diverse groups. When Deena’s grandmother passes, she learns to cope and finds ways to make the Seder with her family even more meaningful. My family has had similar experiences like this each where I have experienced this loss in profound ways. Before reading this, it was hard to express how this affected my family, but Deena beautifully expressed, “the memory of Passover’s when [grandmother] was with us,” in such a ubiquitous way.
    Regardless of whether or not these Jewish traditions are something you can relate to, Deena’s story is a universal one. I could relate to the bustling house at this time of year, the familiar comfort food, family time, and experiencing loss and change. Thank you, Deena, for this meaningful story of tradition and family.