Butterfly Effect | Teen Ink

Butterfly Effect MAG

By Anonymous

      “Thank you for your application. We would like to congratulate you,” the letter read. Those words can make your heart skip a beat and bring tears to your eyes. The feeling of following your dreams is inexplicable and proof that all your hard work was worth it.

It is a signpost in life, a trail marker. It is a day you will never forget, the day you opened that envelope and your future was revealed. But what about all those days in-between, the ones that make and break you, the days that fly by, the days that are nothing special - the days you forget.

Would you have received that acceptance letter had you not attended the college fair at your school, which you used as a way to skip class? What if you had forgotten to send an essay with your application, would you have been rejected?

In life, one step creates the next. Each day is of equal importance, no matter how good or bad. Your choices are crucial, each door opening three more. What if you had chosen door number one instead of two? Would your opportunities have been as grand?

There is no moment in life that does not matter. Regardless of how insignificant, each choice, each day, each idea, is the birth of the next. Something simple can completely reshape your life. It’s an intricate labyrinth, and you never know what is at the end. To go back in time and change one moment in the many that create your life could change everything that follows.

If I’ve learned anything, it is that everything matters. You can struggle through life in an attempt to create the perfect path, but the truth is you will always wonder if it could have been better. Everything is important and nothing need be changed - the climb up the hill may be difficult, but you’ll reach the top no matter which path you choose.