"Silent No More" Response | Teen Ink

"Silent No More" Response

January 28, 2014
By POKONANDOLA BRONZE, Wauseon, Ohio
POKONANDOLA BRONZE, Wauseon, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
-Oscar Gamble


Silent No More
Anonymous

The author describes the jokes made toward him or her by other students regarding sexual orientation. Having a reserved personality, the author couldn't give a response loudly enough. Eventually the author confronted his or her parents and admitted to being gay. Since then, the author has become more self-confident and now works to help other gay students and fight the ignorance regarding sexuality in the school.

I'm sure that it must be hard to deal with being gay, especially in high school. The author should feel proud for being honest and accepting him or herself. Not only did they realize something about their own character, but they also took that lesson and applied it to helping other students who face similar discrimination. Being a student myself, I can say based off of personal experience that teenagers are not accepting of anyone who is different. I am happy that the author was able to ignore the people that put them down and make a change for the better in their school.