What Is Your Definition? | Teen Ink

What Is Your Definition?

August 12, 2015
By TheCatsMeow SILVER, Tuckerton, New Jersey
TheCatsMeow SILVER, Tuckerton, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I don’t know what’s worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you’ve always wanted to be, and feel alone.”
― Daniel Keyes, Flowers for Algernon


My and many other high school students careers are rapidly approaching their grand finale and with adult hood looming in the distance anything seems possible. However, the definition of 'adult' has a much more broad range of meanings besides the ones given to students by their teachers and parents. The official definition according to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary is "fully developed and mature." But, is this mentally and physically? Or is it one or the other? We are taught from when we are young that we are being trained to be functioning adults in society. This is where the definition of 'adult' begins to morph and change into a strange, colorful creature. If all we have to do is function in society, then are the convicts and serial killers no longer considered adults because of their lack to conform? Then there is the definition used in legal terms, at eighteen young men and women are labeled adults and gain responsibilities in the eyes of the government, yet the consumption of alcohol is out of the question until they are twenty-one. Being an adult is also generally seen as growing out of your childhood wonders and toys. If so, I know several people who will never be seen as adults, ever. No definition is absolute, it is up to the young men and women entering this vast world to carve out their own definition and forge the path they believe is right for themselves. The question is, what is your definition?


The author's comments:

This piece was written on a whim and published along with one of my other articles previously. Enjoy, comment.