A Day in Life With No Media | Teen Ink

A Day in Life With No Media

By Cassia_S GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
Cassia_S GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

Life would be very different without media. I can’t think of a day where the influence of media does not impact my life. But if all forms of media were to disappear, then I think my day would run in an unfamiliar manner.

First thing in the morning, I would probably stay in my bed longer than usual without the lure of getting up to consume media, that is, to read books or check my phone. Then, after I had snuggled up enough, I would climb out of my bed and get ready. At breakfast, I may actually be willing to cook my own breakfast with nothing else to do. Except the only problem would be that I wouldn’t have a cookbook. Therefore, I would probably experiment with all of the ingredients in my house. Also, without a recipe to follow, I doubt I would be able to make anything edible, let alone tasting good.

After I had depleted the supply of ingredients in my kitchen, I would need to go shopping with my parents for more to replenish my supply. But shopping would be very different, too, with no forms of advertising whatsoever. I wouldn’t know which brand to buy or what materials other people enjoyed or recommended. Shopping would prove to be very difficult because I would never be able to decide what I wanted.

Then, after spending some family time shopping, my family would probably decide to spend more time together. We might go somewhere fun, but most likely, we would not have any tourist attractions in mind.

So, we would probably stay home. If the day was nice, then I might go outside to play while my parents would do yard work, but if the day wasn’t as nice, then my family would then probably dust off our old board games and actually play them! After a while, we would probably become “board”, and by this time, we would just talk about our lives and maybe my mom would teach me her sewing skills.

In conclusion, if I did not have any media in my life, it would be, from the perspective of someone with media, very boring. But I would certainly be able to adjust. However, in the meantime, I am not planning to get rid of the media in my life any time soon.