Because of him | Teen Ink

Because of him

By laneyb GOLD, St Paul, Oregon
laneyb GOLD, St Paul, Oregon

I am a quote addict. I spend majority of my time writing down quotes I hear.

the days will always be brighter because he existed.
the nights will always be darker because he's gone.
and no matter what anybody says about grief, and
about time healing all wounds, the truth is, there are
certain sorrows that never fade away until the heart
stops beating and the last breath is taken.

Everything I am today, I am because my grandfather existed. I am everything I am today because of my last name, and who that name represents. I am everything I am today because of the faith I have learned, and that faith was taught to me by my grandmother. I am everything I am today because of the strength that my father carved into my character. I am everything today because of the gift of empathy that my mother bestowed on me. I am the innocence that my youngest sister has taught me. I am everything I am today because of the blessings that my closest sister opened my eyes too. I see the joy in everything because of my interaction with my cousins. I am still standing because of the hands of my friends. I see the hope in life because that is who I am. Hope, it lurks in every corner. Hope for a better world, for a better me. For better dreams. I aspire to be great; I aspire to save the world. I know that I will because of the people who surround me and the great gifts that they have given me.

Tonight, like every other night, I miss my grandfather. I wonder if he would be proud of whom I am today, and the choices I have made on my life’s path. I cannot tell you if I believe he is, I can only hope he is. I know he is watching over me. I know he is picking me up when I fall. Still, I wish he were here by my side.

birddog said...
on May. 22 2009 at 4:35 am
Your words strike at the heart, they are so well written with the love you have for your grandfather and family. Always keep in touch with your heart......it will steer you in the right direction.