Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Real World? Isn't This It? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Michelle W., Abington, MA

I'm only a junior in high school, but I think that what I have to say is important. I'm tired of grown-ups always thinking we don't know what the "real world" is. They tend to think that all we do is go to school, talk on the phone, and goof off with our friends. Being a teenager these days is not that easy. There are a lot of other things that revolve around us and our lives. So we may not get up at 5 a.m. to go to work, and we don't pay the bills, but going to school can be just as hard. We also have the problems of drugs, alcohol, sex and AIDS, peer pressure, problems of dealing with our friends and lots of other things.

The thing I hate the most is when I'm on the phone and my grandparents and my mom think that what I am saying is not important. That whatever it is can wait till school. How do they know! I could be talking to a friend whose dog died, or a friend who is upset enough to think about suicide and I am trying to comfort them (things like that do happen to kids).

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!

Close