Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Icarus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Caitlin M., Farwell, MI

My world is a tent. A dirty, gray, worn canvas tent. I saw the outside of it once. It reads “Westley Brothers’ Circus” in cracked and faded paint. That was three years ago, before the Westley brothers started loading me into the back of their canvas-draped truck under the cover of darkness. They don’t like me to go outside. They don’t say why, but I am not as naive as I once was. Not as naive as they think I am. They would like to keep me always in the dark about the world outside my tent. They want me to be small enough to keep under their thumbs. I already know what the world thinks about people who are ... different.

I was too young to know when they found me. Then, I was happy to have a place. A home. A family. I was a star, the headline act. Every spotlight in the circus was trained on me as the crowds poured in to see me, their hands outstretched to touch.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

11 comment(s)
Lost_In_Her_Daydream
Wow...all I can say is wow! This is amazing!!
Feb. 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM • Report
Yoela
That was beautiful. I love how Tierra is so broken, then so strong and amazed at her own skill. And when she is caught, it ends by mentioning fire. To me that fire means that she will not resume her broken state, but rather be fierce with a burning fire. 
Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM • Report
JRaye
I absolutely loved this! You have a gift - I'd give anything to write like this. Amazing!
Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM • Report
Ty'nesha S.
u should write another story like ths i loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM • Report
Ty'nesha S.
i loved your story a lot!!!!!!!!
Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM • Report
StormMarieWhite
A great remake of one of my favorite myths :) Good job!
Sep. 01, 2013 at 1:17 AM • Report
nelehjr
Wow! As soon as I started reading I couldn't tear my eyes away for a moment! Great job! I'll be reading this article again when it's printed in the magazine ;)
Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM • Report
In_Love_with_Writing
This was a very interesting concept. I think you did well. Hey and check out some of my stories, too. Tell me what you think or rate it for me so I can get some feedback! Thanks so much.
Jan. 05, 2013 at 12:37 PM • Report
Childofthemind
this took my breath away, you have excellent powers of imagery
Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM • Report
writingwithmoonlight
heartrenching and brilliant. absolutely brilliant.
Jan. 05, 2013 at 10:40 AM • Report
Close