Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Icarus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Caitlin M., Brooklyn, NY

My world is a tent. A dirty, gray, worn canvas tent. I saw the outside of it once. It reads “Westley Brothers’ Circus” in cracked and faded paint. That was three years ago, before the Westley brothers started loading me into the back of their canvas-draped truck under the cover of darkness. They don’t like me to go outside. They don’t say why, but I am not as naive as I once was. Not as naive as they think I am. They would like to keep me always in the dark about the world outside my tent. They want me to be small enough to keep under their thumbs. I already know what the world thinks about people who are ... different.

I was too young to know when they found me. Then, I was happy to have a place. A home. A family. I was a star, the headline act. Every spotlight in the circus was trained on me as the crowds poured in to see me, their hands outstretched to touch.

Page 1 of 14

Close

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Close

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
Lily">
i love this !
Jan. 08, 2018 at 3:19 AM • Report
B">
This is great. Excellent. I love it.
Dec. 14, 2017 at 4:45 AM • Report
Close
Close