Women Who Win by Lisa Taggart | Teen Ink

Women Who Win by Lisa Taggart

By Jordan Marshall BRONZE, Clendenin, West Virginia
Jordan Marshall BRONZE, Clendenin, West Virginia

Book title and author: Women Who Win by Lisa Taggart
Title of review: Winning Women

Introduction
This book takes you behind the scenes of ten women athletes who have been through many bad, yet some good events in life to accomplish their goals. Lisa Taggart, the author, tells that the main idea of this book is to show that all these women had struggles in life and still achieved their goals and are known as famous people now. As long as you put your mind to something, you also can accomplish your goal in life. You might go through many hard times, but just keep moving forward.

Description and summary of main points
The athletes in this book are Jamilah star, Julie Krone, Julie Foudy, Deena Kastor, Wendy Hilliard, Misty May-Treanor, Lynne Cox, Tamika Catchings, Karen Smyers, and Lynn Hill. Each of these women give a couple personal stories from their life. A lot of tragic things happened to these athletes from when they were young girls, to being adults. Confidence and self esteem are built in this book no matter what the sport is. For example, Jamilah Star, big-wave surfer, had a good relationship with her mother, Wendy Star. When Jamilah was off to training, her mother got really sick from being addicted to heroin and died. Jamilah took it pretty hard and believed nothing is worse than losing your mother. “When I think about what I do, what might happen to me surfing- I think, It’s ease compared to heroin addiction, right? Nothing’s as bad as losing your mom.”

Evaluation
This book is all about going for what you set your mind to. If you have a goal in life, push through everything-good or bad, forget the mistakes in the past, and keep going toward where you want to be. Lisa Taggart achieved her goal letting readers believe that if they can push themselves enough, they can accomplish anything. I never thought somebody could explain well enough to me by giving stories of other people, like athletes, that even if you have hard times in the past you can get over them and have a great future. Between this book and other sport books, this one is the one I enjoyed the most. I get better feelings for myself out of this one than the other ones.

Conclusion
Many younger athletes wonder what their life will be like in the future. Will I be famous? Are people going to think a lot about me? Is life in the future going to be easier as a basketball player or a regular person? Most teens ask those questions often. They would like to know if they will be in the Olympics or and NBA/ WNBA player. In the book Women Who Win, all the famous women athletes asked themselves those questions everyday as a teen. The deaths, injuries they had, sicknesses, and etc. didn’t keep these women away from where they are. Moving forward is all they did. This was an amazing book and I enjoyed every chapter. With this book, I believe I can do whatever I set my mind to.