Teen Suicide | Teen Ink

Teen Suicide

By Emma Pettibone BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Emma Pettibone BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

The rate of teen suicide in the U.S has grown to be the third leading cause of death for 15-24 year olds. There are twice as many reported deaths due to suicide than a death from HIV/AIDS. Suicide also beat homicide on the overall count of deaths. These statistics are real and they scare the heck out of most people. Teenagers should not end their life when it has barely started because they did not think that they are not emotionally equipped to deal with whatever problem they were facing at the time of their attempt of suicide or death. Stress is one of the main contributors to suicide. Being in high school everyone knows that there is going to be a lot of stress but resulting in suicide is defiantly not the answer in making all the stress go away. Talking to counselors, teachers, and even fellow students can help relieve the stress and make you feel better about yourself. Smiling at someone or even just striking up a conversation with a new person could change that person’s whole day so think about that next time you see someone that looks like their day might not be going so well. You could change someone’s life.