Media Turning into a bad Influence | Teen Ink

Media Turning into a bad Influence

By Audrey Orem BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Audrey Orem BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

Imagine yourself walking down the street going to a friend’s house and seeing people that look exactly alike. Same body type and same outfits. Wouldn’t it be weird seeing people that look exactly alike? Though the way the media is always showing people that us teenage girls idolize that are really skinny. Some times it might even be unhealthy how skinny they are. Because we look up to them, we might want to be like them. Even if it means looking almost exactly like them.

I know people want to blend in with other people, but being who you really are is a way better thing to do then just doing what other people are doing. Who cares if someone is big or small? It’s just like that saying “you can’t judge a book by its cover”. The person’s personality matters way more then their looks. With all the television shows like America’s Next Top Model, it shows that the fashion industry basically makes their clothes for really skinny models. That can make girls want to get really skinny so they can fit into those small dresses.

In a regular world, people may not look a like. So why do teenagers want to be like others. I have personally tried to blend in with everyone else but that didn’t help me at all. Just being yourself gets you further than trying to be someone you aren’t. All of those television shows most of the time show people who are to some people perfect. They have the right body type and clothes. That is in most places in the nation rare. So that may influence some to want to be like the people on those shows.

The media needs to think about how what they are putting in the spotlight may affect others. This has been going on for a huge period of time. There needs to be more encouraging going television. Like that Dove commercial with the little girl and the self confidence workshops. That is a good thing. More shows and commercials need to be like that.

All of those television shows that may be bad influences make a really good show though. We just need to not let the media dictate our lives. I know that being skinny means that fitting into the fashionable clothes is good and being big means you may possibly not fit in them, but being the way that you are supposed to be is great. When you are walking to class and guys make fun of you for having big thighs or arms. What is the big deal about having some curves? The media has drilled into our minds that we have to have the perfect body. That is not true. Having the perfect body isn’t everything. Being confident in you is everything though.

If we don’t do something about this now, I think that this problem will get worse over the years. The media needs to stop sending that message of being perfect out to us teenagers. There needs to be more TV shows that show an average person living their average life. That might help the situation. We need to stop letting the media control how we want to look. We just need to be happy with how we are.

on May. 29 2009 at 12:41 am
Hallie Messenger BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Audrey! as I told you before this is a really really great piece. I very much enjoy how you describe it to having evryone look alike. It really brings a new perspective to it all. Incredible job!